The most-read stories in 2018
In 2018, we posted more than 1,000 local news stories on newarkpostonline.com, attracting more than 1.1 million visits to the website.
It’s hard to say what makes a particular story “go viral” and attract a larger-than-normal audience, but, typically, we found that crime stories draw a large audience, as do stories about local businesses, particularly those located downtown.
There are exceptions, though. This year’s most-read stor y was about UD’s announcement that it would close the Christiana Towers and take over the University Courtyard Apartments earlier than expected. It’s a story that drew attention from UD students, resonated with nostalgic UD alumni and captured the interest of Newarkers concerned about the impact the towers’ closure will have on surrounding neighborhoods. With Newarkers still waiting for UD to provide answers about why the towers are closing early and how those 1,300 beds will be replaced, it’s a story that will continue to be closely watched in 2019.
Below is a list of the 10 mostread stories in 2018.
Newarkpostonline.com is updated several times a day and is always free to all users.
1. UD to knock down Christiana Towers, take over Courtyard apartments
2. Former UD official Meredith Chapman killed in murder-suicide
3. Man punches woman in the face at Deer Park
4. Indictment: Alleged sex traffickers held abducted teen at Newark motel
5. College Square redevelopment plan calls for apartments, retail space
6. Catherine Rooney’s to get new name, new menu
7. UD student facing up to 15 years in prison for on-campus rape
8. College Square Kmart to close in November
9. 21-year-old UD student to run for mayor of Newark
10. Peruvian restaurant to replace Del Pez on Main Street