OCP keeps its hold on No. 1 spot
Orlando Christian Prep took over the top spot in the Sentinel Super 16 boys basketball rankings last week and the Warriors protected that status with an impressive performance.
OCP, which is also No. 1 in the Class 2A state rankings, went 3-0 last week. The highlight was a 78-45 homecourt romp past Kissimmee Osceola, which was No. 4 in the area rankings, in the Showdown in O-Town.
Saturday night’s Showdown final was a doozie, with Windermere Prep staying on a roll by topping Windermere High 73-68 in the second regular-season meeting between two neighboring schools.
Guard Jayden Williams made five 3-point shots and scored 22 points for the Lakers.
E.J. Yorke also knocked down five treys and scored 24 points for the Wolverines, who saw a seven-game winning streak snapped.
Jones jumps into the rankings despite a 7-9 record.
The Tigers are 7-2 with football players in the fold. That includes high-quality wins against Oak Ridge and Lake Highland Prep (twice).
Four ranked teams will play Saturday in the Kalyn High Master’s Classic. OCP plays Hagerty, No. 14 Lake Highland faces Oviedo, and No. 8 Windermere meets host The Master’s Academy, which is No. 8.
A couple of coaching milestones were met last week. Lake Brantley (7-6) won 70-57 at Lake Mary to record career win No. 300 for Patriots coach Mike Cuff. And Olympia (8-7) notched coach Rob Gordon’s 250th career victory with a 66-49 win against Gateway.
Records and rankings are based on games played through Saturday, Jan. 11. Teams are listed with their previous ranking in parentheses if changed.
The Super 16 is composed of Orlando area teams that participate in the FHSAA playoffs. Here are the rankings:
1. Orlando Christian Prep (12-2): Warriors went 3-0 last week and have three more games this week, starting with at Eustis (9-3) on Tuesday. 2. (3) Seminole (14-1): Seminoles play at home Wednesday and Thursday before playing Saturday at Wally Keller Classic in Punta Gorda.
3. (6) Apopka (12-4): Thrilling 50-48 win against Dr. Phillips made Blue Darters 3-0 in 2020 going into three away games this week.
4. (7) Windermere Prep (12-2): Fanbo Zeng (6-9, soph.) averaging 16.4 points, 7.4 boards, 2.6 assists, 2.2 blocked shots and 1.2 steals.
5. (2) Oak Ridge (9-5): Pioneers’ 70-59 loss at Jones was only its fourth defeat against Florida foe in three seasons.
6. (4) Kissimmee Osceola (11-3): Kowboys host Oak Ridge Thursday in matchup of programs that produced past three largeclass state championships.
7. (5) Central Florida Christian Academy (11-3): Class 2A No. 4 Eagles lost 82-77 against Class 1A No. 1 Wildwood (13-3).
8. (9) Windermere High (10-5): Wolverines are 1-5 against state-ranked teams and more challenges are coming.
9. (10) The Master’s Academy (10-3): Eagles went 1-1 in South Carolina last week — losing to Porter-Gaud of Charleston 72-66. 10. (12) Ocoee (10-6): Knights are 4-6 against Super 16 teams and five of six defeats are by six points or less.
11. (13) Dr. Phillips (11-5): Both Panthers losses in rugged 7A District 3 play are by two points to Apopka and Ocoee.
12. (14) Mount Dora Christian (15-0): Bulldogs went 25-0 in 2015-16 regular season and could match that this year.
13. (NR) Jones (7-9): Tigers take on another team with deceptive record, Edgewater (5-9), on Wednesday night, then DP on Friday.
14. (8) Lake Highland Prep (11-4): Highlanders, coming off two losses in past three outings, play at Trinity Prep (12-4) on Wednesday.
15. (11) West Orange (8-6): Brutal week with Edgewater on Monday, Windermere Wednesday and Apopka Friday.
16. (NR) Boone (10-3): Braves back on track with 2-0 record in 2020 going into Tuesday trip to Evans.
Watch list: Edgewater (5-9), Eustis (9-3), Evans (9-6), Lake Nona (10-3), Leesburg (10-4).
Apopka defenders swarm in on Dr. Phillips guard Denzel Aberdeen (20) and block his shot attempt in a Friday night home victory for the Blue Darters.