Fraud case led in­ves­ti­ga­tors, deputies to fam­ily’s Cel­e­bra­tion home.

Orlando Sentinel - - FRONT PAGE - By Grace Toohey

An elab­o­rate health care fraud scheme op­er­ated through An­thony Todt’s phys­i­cal ther­apy busi­ness to pad his bank ac­count was what led author­i­ties to his fam­ily’s home in Cel­e­bra­tion early Mon­day, where they found the bodies of his wife, chil­dren and fam­ily dog, ac­cord­ing to court fil­ings.

Todt was ini­tially taken into cus­tody on a fed­eral health care fraud charge, but law en­force­ment soon found his en­tire fam­ily killed in­side their home on Re­serve Place. Todt, 44, has since been ar­rested on first­de­gree mur­der charges for the deaths of his wife, Me­gan Todt, 42, and his three chil­dren: Alek, 13; Tyler, 11; and Zoe, 4.

Fed­eral court records re­lated to the fraud case, un­sealed Wed­nes­day, ex­posed the ex­tent of Todt’s spi­ral­ing fi­nances and de­tailed the in­ves­ti­ga­tion that led up to Mon­day’s grisly dis­cov­ery.

Todt had for years op­er­ated a health care fraud scheme from his Con­necti­cut busi­ness, Fam­ily Phys­i­cal

Ther­apy, billing both the fed­eral gov­ern­ment through Med­i­caid and pri­vate health in­sur­ance com­pa­nies for hun­dreds of hours of care that he never ac­tu­ally pro­vided to pa­tients, ac­cord­ing to a 36-page af­fi­davit filed in U.S. District Court of Con­necti­cut.

The joint in­ves­ti­ga­tion by the U.S. Depart­ment of Health and Hu­man Ser­vices’ Of­fice of In­spec­tor Gen­eral and the FBI found Todt raked in more than $130,000 from fraud­u­lent bills he sent to in­sur­ers, in­clud­ing Med­i­caid, Cigna and An­them Blue Cross Clue Shield, ac­cord­ing to the af­fi­davit.

Todt would of­ten bill for three to five days of phys­i­cal ther­apy for pa­tients in one week, but his pa­tients did not ac­tu­ally re­ceive phys­i­cal ther­apy more than twice a week, in­ves­ti­ga­tors said. He would also con­tinue to sub­mit bills for pa­tients who had long fin­ished their care at his of­fice, had been med­i­cally cleared by him, or had since moved to a dif­fer­ent state, the af­fi­davit said.

He would also sub­mit bills for hours of care given on Satur­days and Sun­days, when fed­eral agents de­ter­mined his busi­ness was not open. The fraud­u­lent billings were recorded as early as 2015, through mid-2019.

The af­fi­davit also found that, from Jan­uary 2015 to June 2018, “Todt and Fam­ily Phys­i­cal Ther­apy have taken loans or ad­vances from over 20 com­mer­cial lenders to fund their busi­ness,” the war­rant said.

The af­fi­davit said Todt bor­rowed from com­mer­cial in­vestors that pro­vide short­term loans or ad­vances to bor­row­ers in need of im­me­di­ate cash, against the ac­counts re­ceiv­able of the bor­rower’s busi­ness. The lenders then ob­tain au­to­mated pay­ments from the bor­rower’s bank.

In the month of Au­gust 2017 alone, Todt’s LLC trans­ferred more than $99,000 in re­pay­ments to eight such com­pa­nies, in­clud­ing Quick Fix Cap­i­tal and On Deck Cap­i­tal, agents found.

The fed­eral agents in­ter­viewed Todt af­ter search­ing his busi­ness Nov. 21. He at first de­nied the fraud ac­cu­sa­tions, but then ad­mit­ted to “adding stuff ” to his billings and said he “ran­domly chose the pa­tients that he sub­mit­ted ex­tra claims for,” the af­fi­davit said.

Todt said he did this with­out any­one else’s knowl­edge at the com­pany, in­clud­ing his wife. He asked agents how much longer the in­ves­ti­ga­tion would take and said he planned to plead guilty.

“When ques­tioned as to the mo­ti­va­tion for com­mit­ting this fraud­u­lent scheme, Todt stated that he started bor­row­ing money from lenders be­cause it was ‘eas­ier,’” the af­fi­davit said. “Todt stated that he kept hav­ing to bill for ser­vices that were not ren­dered to keep pace with the per­sonal loans he took out.”

He did not ex­pound on the rea­sons for the loans, but when agents asked if he was liv­ing above his means, he replied, “That’s the best way to put it,” the af­fi­davit said.

Agents said they asked Todt to con­tact an at­tor­ney and then reach back out to them. The fol­low­ing day, Nov. 22, Todt said he was work­ing on get­ting an at­tor­ney, and told agents he would re­turn to Con­necti­cut Dec. 8.

“When the agents did not hear back from Todt or an at­tor­ney in Novem­ber, they con­tacted him again on Dec. 4,” the af­fi­davit said. “Dur­ing this con­ver­sa­tion, Todt again main­tained that he was in the process of re­tain­ing an at­tor­ney and that he was sched­uled to meet with the at­tor­ney the fol­low­ing week in Con­necti­cut.”

Em­ploy­ees at Fam­ily Phys­i­cal Ther­apy told in­ves­ti­ga­tors later in De­cem­ber that their pay­checks started to bounce and even­tu­ally they stopped be­ing paid com­pletely, the af­fi­davit said. Fed­eral agents did not hear from Todt the rest of the month so, on Jan. 7, they con­tacted one of his rel­a­tives.

“This rel­a­tive stated that she too was hav­ing a hard time main­tain­ing con­tact with Todt and that she was wor­ried about him be­cause he was not com­mu­ni­cat­ing with her or his fam­ily as he usu­ally would,” the af­fi­davit said.

She had be­come so con­cerned that she con­tacted the Osce­ola Sher­iff’s Of­fice Dec. 29 for a wel­fare check. Deputies “re­ported that they could not lo­cate Todt and that the house he was thought to be liv­ing in was boarded up,” the af­fi­davit said.

Fam­ily mem­bers also told fed­eral agents they were “all very con­cerned about Todt’s state of mind.”

On Mon­day, fed­eral agents along with the Osce­ola County Sher­iff’s Of­fice, swarmed the Cel­e­bra­tion house to ar­rest Todt.

Osce­ola Sher­iff Russ Gib­son said Wed­nes­day that Todt has been co­op­er­a­tive in in­ter­views and con­fessed to kil­lling his wife, chil­dren and dog. In­ves­ti­ga­tors be­lieve they were killed some­time to­ward the end of De­cem­ber, Gib­son said.

Of­fi­cials have not how Todt killed them. said


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.