BRT presents North Sea Gas
Blackstone River Theatre will present an evening of music from Scotland featuring North Sea Gas on Sunday, May 8, 7:00 p.m. at Blackstone River Theatre, 549 Broad St., Cumberland, RI. Admission is $18.00 advance, $20.00 day of show. For reservations call (401) 725-9272 or visit www.riverfolk.org for more information.
North Sea Gas is a folk band from Scotland who have now been performing their blend of poignant and rousing songs and high-energy instrumentals for 40 years. The band features a combination of fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bodhran and bouzouki, complementing strong three-part vocal harmonies and a keen sense of humor. North Sea Gas have released 22 albums with “Hearth & Homeland” being the most recent and they are constantly adding new material to their shows. One of their previous albums, “The Fire and the Passion of Scotland,” was “Album of the Year” at Celtic Radio in the U.S., winning first place in the “Jigs and Reels” category as well for the set of tunes on the album. The band is led by founder Dave Gilfillan on lead vocals, guitar and banjo. Ronnie “Mac” MacDonald on lead and harmony vocals, and guitar is joined by Grant Simpson on high-energy fiddle and vocals.
• 53RD ANNUAL MAY BREAKFAST; May 7 @ 7:30 am - 10:00 am. Join the Wesley United Methodist Church in Lincoln for its 53rd Annual May Breakfast. Bacon or sausage, eggs, baked beans, home fries, toast, muffins, orange juice, coffee, and tea. $10 Adults, 5 Children 5-12, Under 5/ Free.
MAY BREAKFAST AT ST. MARK EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN AND ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCHS; May 7 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Family, friends, neighbors and co-workers are invited to enjoy the best breakfast in town. Let’s celebrate the end of masking, winter and isolation with a great time and great food!
• PONAGANSET COVERED BRIDGE HIKE May 7 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am; Join the Heritage Corridor Trail Ambassadors for a guided two-mile walk along the Ponaganset High School cross country track in Glocester, RI. We will visit one of Rhode Island’s covered bridges as well as a babbling brook. The hike is fairly level with slight elevation. Meet at the north side of the school complex by the track entrance (91 Anan Wade Rd., North Scituate, RI 02857) RSVP at: https://bit.ly/PonagansetWalk2022 This hike is led by Ernie Germani, a Blackstone Heritage Corridor Trail Ambassador volunteer and author of the Trails & Walks Rhode Island blog. Learn more about this hike here: https://trailsandwalksri.wordpress.com/category/ponaganset-covered-bridge-trail/.
• NORTH SMITHFIELD 150TH ANNIVERSARY PARADE, May 7 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am; Invite your friends & family as we celebrate North Smithfield’s 150th Anniversary with a parade for the ages! The parade will be a two-mile loop starting at Slatersville Plaza, going south down 146A, turning right on Greene Street, and right again on North Main Street until ending at the starting point.
• MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU; Foolproof Brewing Company, 241 Grotto Avenue, Pawtucket, on May 4 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm will pay tribute to the legendary series that is Star Wars. Come to the brewery on May 4th in costume and get a free beer. The winner of the best costume will receive a gift card prize.
• CINCO DE MAYO FIESTA, Antojitos Taqueria, 1188 Cumberland Hill Road Woonsocket, May 5 @ 11:00 am - 8:00 pm Grab your friends, grab your family and celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Antojitos Taqueria – their favorite day of the year! Special Menu will be served all day!
• SOS BIG BAND PRESENTS: DUKE ELLINGTON’S SACRED CONCERT; Assembly Theater, Burrillville, May 5 @ 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm. The SOS Big Band is back at the Assembly Theatre on Thursday May 5th @7:30pm and Friday May 6th @ 7:30 pm for two nights of Duke Ellington’s Sacred Concert to benefit a wonderful a local organization – Help the Homeless RI. All ticket sales will be donated to Help the Homeless RI.
• VINES & VINO; Vines & Vino is back at Butterfly Farm! Join them Friday May 6th for a night full of fun and laughs. 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
• The Town of Blackstone’s Memorial Day Committee is pleased to announce the return of our annual Memorial Day Celebration on Sunday, May 29th. As always, our event will kick off with our Memorial Day Parade, which this year will step off from the Town Common at 1:00pm. The Parade will proceed down Main St. on to St. Paul St. and conclude with a Ceremony in front of Blackstone’s Municipal Center. Following the Ceremony, our Celebration will shift to Roosevelt Park located behind the Municipal Center. Within the Park, you can find an array of amusement rides, arts & craft vendors, food vendors, and a stage with musical entertainment from 2:00pm to 9:30pm. Our Celebration will conclude at 9:30pm with a beautiful firework display; the largest display in the Blackstone Valley for Memorial Day. The Memorial Day Committee is currently looking for volunteers to assisted the Committee on the day of our event. Please email the Committee at BlackstoneMemorialDay@gmail.com if you are interested in volunteering. We will have a volunteer meeting in May for all of those interested. If you are interested in being in our parade or are interest in being a vendor in Roosevelt Park, please email the Committee at BlackstoneMemorialDay@gmail and we will send you an application. Applications can also be found at the Municipal Center and on the Town of Blackstone’s website.
• The Woonsocket Harris Public Library is proud to announce the return of the annual Poetry Contest in honor of National Poetry Month in April. Anyone can submit a poem that will be judged in five age groups, grade k-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12 and Adult. First, second and third place winners will be chosen for each category. Please include your name, age group, address and phone number on your submission. Students should include the name of their teacher. You can drop your poem off in person at the Young Adult desk at the library, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or send it by mail to Woonsocket Harris Public Library 303 Clinton St Woonsocket RI 02895. Entries for grade 6 and up must be typed. Only two entries per person please. Poems can be accepted from April 1st through April 30th.
Send your community events to email@example.com