Ceremonies honor those lost at Pearl Harbor 77 years ago. Pages
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Mark Harris, the Republican congressional candidate at the center of the unfolding election fraud scandal in North Carolina’s 9th District, said Friday that he would “wholeheartedly support” a new vote if fraud could have changed the outcome of his contest last month.
“If this investigation finds proof of illegal activity on either side to such a level that it could have changed the outcome of the election then I would wholeheartedly support a new election,” Mr. Harris said in a video statement released by his campaign. He also said he was unaware of any wrongdoing and is cooperating with the ongoing investigation, which he hopes will lead to his victory being certified before Congress starts its new session in January.
Mr. Harris has not taken questions from the media since the story first erupted last week, when the North Carolina Board of Elections refused to certify the results of his race against Democrat Dan McCready. Mr. Harris could be seen at his southeast Charlotte home Friday, but a campaign representative said he would not be available for an interview.
He said he supports an investigation into voting irregularities that could have benefited “either party in this election or past election cycles.”
Mr. McCready, who initially conceded the Nov. 6 race after unofficial results showed him losing by 905 votes, withdrew his concession Thursday.