ALMOND-ESPRESSO BÛCHE DE NOËL
ACTIVE 35 MIN. TOTAL 1 HR. PLUS COOLING SERVES 15
2 ¼ cups almond flour 1½ tsp baking powder ¼ tsp kosher salt 9 large eggs, separated, at room temp 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 6 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided 2 tsp espresso powder 8 oz mascarpone cheese ¾ cup heavy cream, cold ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 13- by 18-in. rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, line bottom with parchment paper, and spray parchment.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat egg yolks and brown sugar until mixture is very light and falls in thick ribbons from beater. Mix in vanilla, then fold in flour mixture; transfer to a large bowl. Clean and dry the mixer bowl.
4. Using the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, 3 minutes. Fold one-third of whites into flour mixture, then fold in remaining whites until just incorporated.
5. Transfer batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown on top and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan.
6. Meanwhile, heat
¼ cup granulated sugar and ¼ cup water in the microwave until hot.
Add espresso powder and whisk to combine.
7. Spray 1 piece of parchment with cooking spray, then place over cake. Gently turn cake over onto sprayed parchment and remove pan and parchment from bottom. Brush espresso mixture all over cooled cake.
8. Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat mascarpone and remaining 2Tbsp granulated sugar until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cream 1Tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form,
1 to 2 minutes. Spread evenly over cake.
9. Starting with a long side, gently roll cake into a log, using parchment to help. Refrigerate wrapped in parchment for 1 hour and up to 2 days. Just before serving, roll cake in cocoa powder.
NUTRITION (per serving): 320 cal, 9 g pro, 26 g carb, 3 g fiber, 21 g sugars (19.5 g added sugars), 21.5 g fat (8.5 g sat fat), 145 mg chol, 140 mg sodium