A Time to Fall
Bring the glorious colors of autumn into your home with fusible appliqué. This is the perfect accent quilt for any room.
• 20 assorted autumn-color batik
scraps at least 8" square for leaves • Assorted brown batik scraps at
least 11/2" x 51/2" for stems
• 11/4 yards black floral
• 3 yards total assorted cream
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Template material
• 21/4 yards 17"-wide fusible web* • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Pellon® Wonder-under® fusible web used to make sample.
Prepare the leaf and stem pieces for fusible appliqué using patterns given and referring to Raw-edge Fusible Appliqué on page 48. Cut as directed on each piece.
From black floral:
• Cut 3 (11/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 12 (11/2" x 81/2")
• Cut 2 (11/2" by fabric width) strips.
Trim strips to make 2 (11/2" x 371/2")
• Cut 7 (11/2" by fabric width) D strips. • Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From assorted cream batiks:
• Cut 36 (31/2" x 51/2") A rectangles. • Cut 36 (51/2") B squares.
• Cut 36 (5" x 7") F rectangles.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Sew an A rectangle to a B square to make an A-B unit as shown in Figure 1; press. Repeat to make a total of 36 A-B units. 2. Arrange and join two A-B units to complete one A Block as shown in Figure 2; press. Repeat to make a total of 12 A Blocks. 3. Arrange and join three A-B units to complete one B Block as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make a total of four B Blocks.
I love living in an area with changing seasons, and fall is my alltime favorite. I have been collecting batiks for many years, and it was fun selecting fabrics that reflect all of the warm colors of the season for this quilt.” —Karen Dumont
COMPLETING THE APPLIQUÉ
1. Arrange and fuse one leaf and stem shape on one A Block referring to Figure 4. Repeat with all A Blocks, changing placement of the leaf and stem on the blocks as desired. 2. Arrange and fuse two leaf and stem shapes on one B Block referring to Figure 5. Repeat with all B Blocks, changing placement of the leaf and stem on the blocks as desired. 3. Using black thread and a machine blanket stitch, stitch around the edges of the leaf/stem motifs to complete the appliqué.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Placement Diagram as needed for all steps.
1. Select one B Block, three A Blocks and three C strips. Arrange and join to complete one vertical row; press. Repeat to make a total of four rows, rearranging the blocks in each row.
2. Join the D strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into five
11/2" x 481/2" D strips.
3. Join the rows with the D strips, beginning and ending with a D strip; press.
4. Sew E strips to the top and bottom to complete the quilt center; press.
5. Join 10 F rectangles on the 5" ends to make a side strip; press. Repeat to make a second side strip. Repeat with eight F strips to make two strips for top and bottom.
6. Center and sew the pieced strips to the sides and top and bottom of the quilt center, stopping stitching 1/4" from quilt corners and mitering corners referring to Mitered
Corner Borders. Note: Your corners may not end up with exact halfsquare triangles as is shown in the Placement Diagram.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110.
8. Quilt as desired, adding vein lines to each leaf as suggested on leaf pattern when quilting.
9. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish.