Delectable Mountain Getaway
Here’s a quilt with a bit of a challenge. Just keep in mind the sky and mountains when piecing and arranging placement.
• 40 each light and dark
10" precut squares
• 1 yard rust batik
• 21/8 yards black batik
• 31/2 yards cream batik
• 91/8 yards backing
• Batting 107" x 107"
• Cutting mat and rotary cutter • Basic sewing tools and supplies
If your 10" precut square packages do not include enough light and dark squares, you may need to purchase extra black and cream batiks to complete the quilt. Please note that block seams do not align from block to block and that the sashing triangle seams do not match to the block triangle seams.
From rust batik:
• Cut 10 (21/4" by fabric width)
binding strips. From black batik:
• Cut 2 (93/8" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 8 (93/8") B squares. • Cut 1 (75/8" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 2 (75/8") K squares
and 2 (37/8") F squares.
• Cut 3 (21/4" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 48 (21/4")
• Cut 8 (31/2" by fabric width) E strips.
From cream batik:
• Cut 2 (93/8" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 8 (93/8") A squares. Cut 1 (75/8" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 2 (75/8") J squares
and 2 (37/8") G squares.
Cut 6 (4" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 24 (4" x 9")
• Cut 10 (61/2" by fabric width) H/I strips.
From back fabric:
• Cut 3 (107" by fabric width) strips. Remove selvage, join along the
107" lengths and trim to
107" x 107" to make a backing with vertical or horizontal seams. • •
COMPLETING THE DELECTABLE MOUNTAIN BLOCKS
1. Trim each 10" precut square to 93/8" square.
2. Separate the precut squares into 40 each light and dark squares.
3. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each light square.
4. Place a light square right sides together with a dark square and stitch 1/4" on each side of the marked line. Referring to Figure 1, cut apart on the marked line to make two light/dark half-square triangle units; press seams toward dark triangles. Repeat to make a total of 80 units.
5. Lay out the half-square triangle units in two stacks of 40 units each with darks facing right in one pile and lights facing left in the second pile referring to Figure 2. Note: Your stacks will look like a mountain. 6. Select one each right-facing and left-facing unit. Place right side up in the same position on the cutting mat as shown in Figure 2 and subcut each unit into four 21/4" segments each as shown in Figure 3. 7. Repeat step 6 with all units.
8. Stack four or five cut units to make several piles as shown in Figure 4. 9. Carefully pick up the last stack on the far left and swap places with the stack on the far right as shown in Figure 5. 10. Repeat swapping the pieces in subsequent stacks so your pieces are arranged as shown in Figure 6. 11. Repeat steps 8–10 until all units are in stacks and pieces have been swapped to look like Figure 6.
12. To achieve a scrappy look, swap the pieces around in each stack to bring colors from the bottom to the top referring to Figure 7. 13. Select one piece from each stack for one block. Join adjacent pieces in sets of two, and then join those units to make two block halves referring to Figure 8; join the halves to complete one block referring to Figure 9. Press seams open. 14. Repeat step 13 to complete a total of 40 Delectable Mountain blocks. 15. Trim blocks to 14" x 9".
THE TRIANGLE UNITS
1. Repeat steps 3 and 4 of Completing the Delectable Mountain Blocks using the A and B squares to complete a total of 16 A-B triangle units referring to Figure 10. 2. Repeat step 1 using J and K squares to make four J-K triangle units, and with F and G squares to make four
F-G units, again referring to Figure 10.
COMPLETING THE SASHING UNITS
1. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each D square.
2. Place a D square right sides together on one end of a C rectangle and stitch on the marked line; trim seam allowance to 1/4" as shown in Figure 11 and press D to the right side. 3. Repeat step 2 with a second D square on the adjacent corner of C to complete a C-D sashing unit as shown in Figure 12. 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to complete a total of 24 C-D sashing units.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
1. Arrange and join the four J-K triangle units to complete the quilt center unit referring to the Assembly Diagram for positioning; press.
2. Arrange and join the A-B triangle units with the Delectable Mountain blocks and the C-D sashing units to make rows referring to the Assembly Diagram for positioning of blocks and units; press. Note: The top of the small triangles at each end of the blocks will not match to the top of the corner triangles on the C-D sashing units as shown in Figure 13. Block seams will not match from row to row. 3. Stitch a block to opposite sides and then a row to the top and bottom of the quilt center unit referring to the Assembly Diagram. Stitch remaining rows to sides and then top and bottom of pieced center unit, again referring to the Assembly Diagram, to complete the pieced center; press.
4. Join the E strips on short ends to make a long strip; press. Subcut strips into four 31/2" x 82" E strips.
5. Sew an E strip to opposite sides of the pieced center; press seams toward E.
6. Sew an F-G triangle unit to each end of each remaining E strip referring to the Assembly Diagram for positioning of units; press seams toward E. Sew these strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press seams toward E.
7. Join the H/I strips on short ends to make a long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 61/2" x 88" H strips and two 61/2" x 100" I strips.
8. Sew H strips to the top and bottom and I strips to opposite sides of the pieced center to complete the pieced top; press seams toward H and I strips.
9. Layer, quilt and bind referring to Finishing Your Quilt on page 110.