Add a touch of quilted autumn to your wall for that extra pizzazz this season.
• 1/3 yard yellow solid*
• 1/2 yard red solid*
• 1/2 yard orange solid*
• 11/4 yards black solid*
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
*Bella Solids fabric collection from Moda used to make sample.
From yellow solid:
• Cut 2 (37/8" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 16 (37/8") B squares
and 4 (21/2") G squares.
From red solid:
• Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 5 (21/2") F squares. • Cut 4 (2" by fabric width) D strips.
From orange solid:
• Cut 4 (31/2" by fabric width) strips.
Trim strips to make 2 each 31/2" x 301/2"
H strips and 31/2" x 361/2" I strips.
From black solid:
• Cut 2 (37/8" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 16 (37/8") A squares. • Cut 4 (21/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 24 (21/2" x 61/2")
• Cut 4 (2" by fabric width) C strips.
• Cut 4 (21/4" by fabric width)
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each B square.
2. Referring to Figure 1, place a B square right sides together with an A square and stitch 1/4" on each side of the marked line. Cut apart on the marked line to make two A-B units. Repeat to make a total of 32 A-B units 3. Sew a C strip to a D strip with right sides together along length to make a C-D strip set; press. Repeat to make a total of four C-D strip sets.
4. Subcut the C-D strip sets into 64 (2 x 31/2") C-D units referring to Figure 2. 5. Join two C-D units to make a four-patch unit as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make a total of 32 four-patch units. 6. To complete one Color Play block, select two each A-B units and fourpatch units.
7. Sew an A-B unit to a four-patch unit to make a row as shown in Figure 4; press. Repeat to make a second row. 8. Join the rows to complete one Color Play block as shown in Figure 5; press. 9. Repeat steps 6–8 to complete a total of 16 Color Play blocks.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram as needed for all construction steps.
1. Arrange and join four Color Play blocks with three E strips to make a block row; press. Repeat to make a total of four block rows.
2. Join one G square and two F squares with four E strips to make an F-G-F sashing strip; press. Repeat to make a second F-G-F sashing strip.
3. Join one F square and two G squares with four E strips to make a G-F-G sashing strip; press. 4. Join two block rows with an
F-G-F sashing strip to make a row unit; press. Repeat.
5. Join the row units with the
G-F-G sashing strip to complete the pieced center; press.
6. Sew an H strip to opposite sides and I strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110.
8. Quilt as desired.
9. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish.
You can totally change the look and feel of your quilt by changing the background fabric. Explore different background options for your next quilt.” —Tricia Lynn Maloney