A simple Uneven Nine-Patch block, a ruler and some curved piecing are all it takes to make this stunning quilt.
• 13/4 yards yellow tonal • 21/3 yards gold tonal • 41/4 yards burgundy tonal • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Template material • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare templates using patterns given. Transfer seam allowance dots and center marks to the J template. Cut as directed on pattern and per instructions. From yellow tonal: • Cut 3 (101/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 9 (101/2") E squares. • Cut 2 (41/2" by fabric width) B strips. • Cut 4 (21/2" by fabric width) D strips. From gold tonal: • Cut 7 (101/2" by fabric width) strips. • Cut 64 J pieces from strips using
J template. From burgundy tonal: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) A strip. • Cut 8 (41/2" by fabric width) C strips. • Cut 2 (153/8" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 3 (153/8") F squares and 2 (8") G squares. Cut the F squares on both diagonals to make 12 F triangles and cut G squares in half on 1 diagonal to make 4 G triangles. • Cut 7 (7" by fabric width) H/I strips. • Cut 8 (21/4" by fabric width)
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Sew an A strip between two B strips to make an A-B strip set; press. 2. Subcut the A-B strip set into 16 (21/2" x 101/2") A-B units as shown in Figure 1.
3. Sew a D strip between two C strips to make a C-D strip set; press. Repeat to make a total of four C-D strip sets.
4. Subcut the C-D strip sets into 32 (41/2" x 101/2") C-D units as shown in Figure 2.
5. Sew an A-B unit between two C-D units to complete one Uneven Nine-Patch block as shown in Figure 3; press. 6. Repeat step 5 to complete a total of 16 Uneven Nine-Patch blocks.
PREPARING PIECES FOR QUILT TOP ASSEMBLY
1. Fold each Uneven Nine-Patch block and E square in quarters and crease to mark the side centers.
2. Match the center mark and straight edge of the prepared trimming template with the center of
SPECIFICATIONS Skill Level: Intermediate Quilt Size: 691/2" x 691/2" Block Size: 10" x 10" finished Number of Blocks: 16
one side edge of one Uneven NinePatch block as shown in Figure 4; mark a curved trimming line, again referring to Figure 4.
3. Remove the trimming template and repeat step 2 on each side of the block.
4. Trim along the marked lines to make a curved-edge block as shown in Figure 5. 5. Repeat steps 2–4 to trim each Uneven Nine-Patch block.
6. Repeat steps 2–4 with the E squares to make nine curved E pieces referring to Figure 6.
7. Repeat steps 2–4, centering the template and trimming the two short sides of each F triangle and the long side of each G triangle referring to Figure 7.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram to complete the quilt top.
1. Fold and crease the trimmed Nine-Patch blocks and E squares to mark the center of each side.
2. Center and pin a J piece to one trimmed side of one Uneven NinePatch block, matching the center of J with the creased center of the block as shown in Figure 8. Stitch the J piece to the block as shown in Figure 9, stopping stitching at the seam allowance dot at each end; press.
3. Repeat step 2 on each trimmed side of the Uneven Nine-Patch block to complete a circle unit as shown in Figure 10; press. 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make a total of sixteen circle units.
5. Arrange and join the circle units with E, F and G pieces in diagonal rows, stopping stitching at the end of the seam allowances as shown in Figure 11; press.
6. Join the stitched rows as in step 5 to complete the quilt center; press.
7. Join the H/I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut the strip into two each 7" x 57" H strips and 7" x 70" I strips.
8. Sew H strips to the top and bottom, and I strips to opposite sides to complete the quilt top; press.
9. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110. 10. Quilt as desired. 11. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish.