Use large-scale florals.
• 15 fat eighths assorted yellow, orange
and red prints or tonals •1 fat quarter each 8 assorted floral
prints • 5/ 8 yard red tonal • 13/ 8 yards green tonal • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies
From yellow, orange & red prints or tonals: • Cut 3 (23/4" x 20") strips from each fabric. Subcut strips into a total of 302 (23/4")
B squares. From floral prints: • Cut 1 (91/2" x 20") strip from each fabric. Subcut strips into a total of 32 (5" x 91/2")
A rectangles. From red tonal: • Cut 7 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From green tonal: • Cut 2 (103/4" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 4 (103/4") C squares, 1 (71/4") F square, 5 (41/2") E squares and 1 (41/ 8") D square. Cut each C and E square on both diagonals to make 16 C triangles and 20 E triangles. Set aside 2 of each size for another project. Cut each D and F square in half on 1 diagonal to make 2 each D and F triangles. • Cut 7 (21/2" by fabric width) G/H strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Select one A rectangle and eight B squares. 2. Arrange and join four B squares to make a B strip; press. Repeat to make a second B strip. 3. Sew a B strip to opposite long sides of A to complete one Spring Fling block as shown in Figure 1; press.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to complete a total of 32 Spring Fling blocks.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
1. Join three B squares and one E triangle to make a B-E unit as shown in Figure 2; press. 2. Sew the B-E unit to C to make a setting triangle as shown in Figure 3; press.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to complete a total of six setting triangles. 4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make eight reverse setting triangles, except sew E to the opposite end of the B strip and the B-E unit to the opposite side of C as shown in Figure 4.
5. Join two B squares and add E to each end; press. Add D to make a corner unit as shown in Figure 5; press. Repeat to make a total of two corner triangles.
6. Arrange and join the Spring Fling blocks with the setting and reverse setting triangles, corner triangles and F to make diagonal rows referring to the Assembly Diagram; press. Join the rows to complete the pieced center; press.
7. Join the G/H strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 21/2" x 641/4" G strips and 21/2" x 551/2" H strips.
8. Sew G strips to opposite long sides and H strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top; press.
9. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 10. Quilt as desired. 11. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.