Pinwheels & Rails
Make a trendy row quilt.
• 1/ 8 yard green tiny dot* • 1/4 yard yellow circle print* • 1/ 3 yard green paisley* • 1/ 3 yard orange stripe* • 1/ 3 yard coral berry dot* • 1/ 3 yard green multicolored paisley* • 3/ 8 yard gray check* • 1/2 yard orange tiny dot* • 1/2 yard coral paisley* • 1/2 yard coral swirl* • 5/ 8 yard coral tiny dot* • 5/ 8 yard green swirl* • 5/ 8 yard orange circle print* • 5/ 8 yard aqua circle print* • 5/ 8 yard orange paisley* • 2/ 3 yard aqua swirl* • 2/ 3 yard aqua paisley* • 11/ 8 yards aqua berry dot* • 11/4 yards green circle print* • 11/ 3 yards aqua tiny dot* • 15/ 8 yards gray tiny dot* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • 3/4 yard 18"-wide fusible web • Template material • Spray starch (optional) • Basic sewing tools and supplies
Prepare templates for A, B1, B2 and B3 using patterns given. Cut as directed on each piece. Prepare appliqué flower pieces using patterns given and referring to Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 14. From orange paisley, circle print, stripe and tiny dot: • Cut 3 (21/2" by fabric width) C strips each
fabric. From coral swirl, paisley, tiny dot and berry dot: • Cut 3 (21/2" by fabric width) C strips each
fabric. From green swirl, multicolored paisley, circle print and paisley: • Cut 3 (21/2" by fabric width) C strips each
fabric. From aqua paisley, circle print, swirl and tiny dot: • Cut 4 (21/2" by fabric width) C strips each
fabric. From aqua berry dot: • Cut 2 (141/2" by fabric width) E strips. From green circle print: • Cut 9 (21/2" by fabric width) G/H strips. From aqua tiny dot: • Cut 9 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From gray tiny dot: • Cut 2 (81/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 24 (21/2" x 81/2") D strips. • Cut 11 (21/2" by fabric width) F strips.
COMPLETING THE RAIL BLOCKS
1. Join one each aqua swirl, aqua circle print, aqua paisley and aqua tiny dot C strip with right sides together along length to make an aqua strip set; press. Repeat to make a total of four aqua strip sets. 2. Cut the aqua strip sets into 13 (81/2" x 81/2") aqua Rail blocks as shown in Figure 1.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the green swirl, green multicolored paisley, green circle print and green paisley C strips to make three strip sets and cut 12 green Rail blocks and one 41/2" x 81/2" green horizontal-stripe half-unit as shown in Figure 2. 4. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the orange tiny dot, orange stripe, orange circle print and orange paisley C strips to make three strip sets and cut 11 orange Rail blocks and one 41/2" x 81/2" orange horizontal-stripe half-unit.
5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 with the coral swirl, coral paisley, coral tiny dot and coral berry dot C strips to make three strip sets and cut 11 coral Rail blocks and one 41/2" x 81/2" coral horizontal-stripe half-unit.
6. Select two aqua Rail blocks. Remove the seam between the aqua circle print and aqua paisley strips to make four aqua vertical-stripe half-units as shown in Figure 3; discard one half-unit.
COMPLETING THE PINWHEEL BLOCKS
1. Sew an orange paisley A to the right edge of an aqua circle print B1 to make an orange/aqua A-B1 unit as shown in Figure 4; press. Repeat to make a total of four orange/aqua A-B1 units.
2. Join two units from step 1 to make a double A-B1 set as shown in Figure 5; press. Repeat.
3. Join the double sets to complete one orange/aqua Pinwheel block as shown in Figure 6; press.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to complete a second orange/aqua Pinwheel block.
5. Repeat steps 1–3 to make one Pinwheel block each in the following color combinations: gray check A/coral swirl B1, aqua paisley A/green swirl B1, aqua tiny dot A/green swirl B1, aqua berry dot A/coral swirl B1 and aqua berry A/green circle print B1.
6. Repeat steps 1–3 to make two Pinwheel blocks each in the following color combinations: aqua paisley A/yellow circle print B1, green circle print A/aqua berry dot B1 and coral paisley A/aqua berry dot B1.
7. Repeat steps 1–3 to make three gray check A/orange circle print B1 Pinwheel blocks.
8. Sew an aqua paisley A to opposite sides of an orange paisley B1 and add an orange paisley B2 and B3 to make an aqua/orange half-pinwheel unit as shown in Figure 7; press.
9. Repeat step 8 to complete one each half-pinwheel unit in the following color combinations: aqua circle print A/orange circle print B1, B2 and B3, aqua tiny dot A/coral tiny dot B1, B2 and B3 and aqua paisley A/green swirl B1, B2 and B3.
COMPLETING THE APPLIQUÉ
1. Join the E strips on the 141/2" ends to make one long strip; press seam to one side. Trim strip to 141/2" x 721/2".
2. Arrange seven petals around a center to make two each large and small flower motifs, and three medium flower motifs referring to the Assembly Diagram and photo for color combinations.
3. Fold E in half and crease to mark center. Arrange and fuse a medium flower motif about 21/2" down from top edge and to left of center on the E strip as shown in Figure 8.
4. Arrange and fuse remaining flower motifs on E referring to the Assembly Diagram for placement.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for all construction steps.
1. Arrange and join eight Rail blocks and add a vertical-stripe half-unit to one end and a horizontal-stripe half-unit to the other end to complete an X row; press. Repeat to complete a total of three X rows.
2. Join eight Pinwheel blocks with two half-pinwheel units to complete a Y row; press. Repeat to make a second Y row.
3. Join seven Rail blocks with eight D strips to make a Z row; press. Repeat to make a total of three Z rows referring to the Assembly Diagram for positioning of blocks in each row.
4. Join the F strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into six 21/2" x 721/2" F strips.
5. Arrange and join the X, Y and Z rows with the appliquéd E strip and six F strips to complete the quilt center; press.
6. Join the G/H strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 21/2" x 901/2" G strips and 21/2" x 761/2" H strips.
7. Sew G strips to opposite long sides and H strips to the top and bottom of the quilt center to complete the quilt top; press.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. Note: The flower motifs are not edgestitched in place. They were quilted 1/4" from the edges to secure. 8. Quilt as desired. 9. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.