Welcome to Our Nest
Appliqué a wall hanging in a day.
Prepare pieces for appliqué as per pattern and instructions, and referring to Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 14.
From light blue print:
• Cut 1 (13" x 20)" strip. Subcut strip into 1 (13") A square.
From medium blue tonal:
• Cut 2 (11/2" x 20") strips.
Subcut strips into 2 (11/2" x 121/2") B strips. • Cut 2 (5" x 20") strips.
Subcut strips into 2 (5" x 16") C strips. From turquoise tonal: • Cut 2 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
COMPLETING THE BIRD BLOCK
1. Fold A in half horizontally and vertically and crease to mark the centers. Center the prepared bird pieces on A in numerical order using full-size pattern motif with center mark as a guide for positioning. When satisfied with placement, fuse in place referring to the fusible web manufacturer’s instructions. 2. Position and fuse the nest piece along the bottom edge of the fused bird pieces. 3. Machine-stitch around the fused shapes using your favorite machine stitch. 4. Draw eight 2" x 3" rectangles on the paper side of the fusible web, leaving 1/2" between pieces. Cut out pieces leaving a 1/4" margin all around each piece. Fuse pieces to the wrong side of brown tonal scraps; cut out on drawn lines. 5. Cut each rectangle into eight 1/2" x 11/2" segments as shown in Figure 1 to make a total of 64 pieces. Remove paper backing from all pieces.
6. Arrange pieces randomly to cover the nest piece; fuse in place. Stitch a straight line through the center of the top-layer pieces to secure as shown in Figure 2. Note: You may choose not to fuse the top layer pieces, leaving the edges loose. The stitching will hold them in place.
7. Trim the appliquéd A square to 121/2" x 121/2", centering the motif to complete the Bird Block.
COMPLETING THE WALL HANGING
1. Fold each C strip in half vertically and horizontally to find the center; fingerpress creases.
2. Transfer message pattern onto tracing paper with a dark marker, adding center marks.
3. Transfer the message patterns to the C strips, using a water-soluble marker and centering the words on the strips as shown in Figure 3.
4. Using three strands of blue embroidery floss and an outline, stem or split stitch, hand-stitch along the marked lines to complete the message.
5. Trim the C strips to 31/2" x 141/2", keeping the messages centered.
6. Sew B strips to opposite sides of A; press. Sew the “Welcome” C strip to the top and the “To Our Nest” C strip to the bottom of A to complete the wall hanging top.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 8. Quilt as desired. 9. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.
10. Sew buttons to bird shapes for eyes as marked on pattern for positioning. QW