Learn to piece gentle curves.
Number the nine different 1/3 yard batiks 1, 2 and 7–13. Number the four different 1/2-yard batiks 3–6. Prepare templates for the A and B pieces using patterns given. Cut as directed on each piece. Mark the center of each piece as per pattern. From navy blue batik: • Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From purple/aqua batik: • Cut 6 (51/2" by fabric width) C/D strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Lay out the A and B pieces in five vertical rows referring to the numbers in each A and B piece shown in Figure 1 for layout suggestions based on the numbering of the fabrics.
2. Select the top left A and B pieces. Center and pin the curved edge of B right sides together on the curved edge of A. Pin the starting end together at the seam allowance and stitch to the center, easing in curve as shown in Figure 2.
3. Pin the opposite seam end and stitch from the center to the end, easing in curve referring to Figure 3.
4. Clip curve as shown in Figure 4; press seam toward A to complete one Baubles block.
5. Place the completed block back in the arranged row pattern.
6. Repeat steps 2–5, selecting A and B pieces from the rows as arranged, to complete a total of 25 Baubles blocks.
“Gentle curves, flowing stream, softness that gives me calm.” —Nancy Scott
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for construction steps.
1. Join the Baubles blocks in five vertical rows of five blocks each as previously arranged; press.
2. Join the rows to complete the pieced center; press.
3. Join the C/D strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 51/2" x 451/2" C strips and 51/2" x 551/2" D strips.
4. Sew C strips to opposite sides and D strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center to complete the quilt top.
5. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 102. 6. Quilt as desired. 7. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 102 to finish.
Baubles 9" x 9" Finished Block Make 25