Mitered Corner Borders
1. Add at least twice the border width to the border lengths measured or instructed to cut. Example: Border is 3" x 45". Cut border (2" x 3") + 45" = border length to cut or 51". 2. Find center of side border length, match to center of quilt side length; pin border to quilt top to secure.
Note: Border will be longer than quilt side top. 3. Sew the side borders to the quilt, beginning and ending stitching 1/4" from the quilt corner and backstitching (Figure A). Repeat with the top and bottom borders.
4. Fold and pin quilt right sides together at a 45-degree angle on one corner (Figure B).
5. Place a straightedge along the fold and lightly mark a line across the border ends (Figure C).
6. Stitch along the line, backstitching to secure (Figure D). 7. Trim seam to 1/4" and press open (Figure E).
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Placement Diagram for construction steps. 1. Select, arrange and join six blocks to make a row as shown in Figure 7; press. Repeat to make a total of seven rows. Note: Rotate blocks as desired. Try different arrangements and photograph each one to achieve a result you love!
2. Join the rows to complete the pieced center; press. 3. Join the D-E strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 11/2" x 76" D strips and 11/2" x 67" E strips. 4. Repeat step 3 with the F/G strips to cut two each 2" x 76" F strips and 2" x 67" G strips. 5. Repeat step 3 with the H/I strips to cut two each 41/2" x 76" H strips and 41/2" x 67" I strips. 6. Sew a D strip to an F strip to an H strip along length to make a side strip; press. Repeat to make a second side strip.
7. Sew an E strip to a G strip to an I strip along length to make the top strip; press. Repeat to make the bottom strip. 8. Center and sew the side strips to opposite long sides and the top and bottom strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center, mitering corners referring to Mitered Corner Borders to complete the quilt top; press. 9. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 102. 10. Quilt as desired. 11. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 102 to finish.
I’ve Got the Blues Placement Diagram 58" x 651/ 2"
I’ve Got the Blues Quilting Diagram