Provençal Lavender Sachet
This sachet pillow is the perfect project for those unexpected moments when you find yourself with free time and need something sweet to work on.
• Nonwoven wool felt*: Scraps light and medium yellow 3" square bright red 4" square dark blue 6" square medium blue • 1 fat eighth gold print • Thread • 6-strand embroidery floss*: red, cornflower blue, light and
medium yellow, and light blue • 1/2 yard 1/4"- wide red rickrack • 11/ 8"- diameter cover button kit • 4 cups dried lavender buds • Freezer paper • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Wool felt from National Nonwovens WoolFelt; DMC embroidery floss used to make sample.
CUTTING From gold print:
• Cut 1 (7" x 20") strip. Subcut strip into 2 (7") A squares and 1 (2") square for cover button.
PREPARING THE APPLIQUÉ PIECES
1. Trace the appliqué shapes given onto the dull side of the freezer paper referring to patterns for number to trace. Use a hot, dry iron to adhere the freezerpaper pieces to the felt referring to patterns for color and number needed. 2. Cut out the pieces; peel away the paper.
COMPLETING THE SACHET
1. Pin the rickrack 1/8" from the outer edge of the heart shape, beginning at the top center and easing rickrack around curves and bottom point and overlapping at top to end as shown in Figure 1.
2. Sew rickrack in place with 1 strand of red embroidery floss. Trim ends of rickrack as needed. Note: The raw ends at the top center will be concealed by appliqué.
3. Use 2 strands of embroidery floss to match the felt pieces and small whipstitches for all appliqué. 4. Center and stitch the flower shape on the star shape. Center and stitch the appliquéd motif to the heart shape. 5. Arrange and stitch the leaf shapes on the heart referring to pattern for placement. 6. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, cover the cover button with the 2" square of gold print. Sew button to the center of the flower shape. 7. Center and stitch the appliquéd heart shape on one A square to complete the sachet front. 8. Pin the sachet front to the remaining A square with right sides together. Stitch all around, leaving a 5" opening on the bottom edge. Clip corners; turn right side out. Press edges flat.
SPECIFICATIONS Skill Level: Beginner Sachet Size: 61/2" x 61/2"
9. Fill with dried lavender buds to desired fullness.
10. Turn opening edges to the inside and hand-stitch the opening closed to finish.