Create a fun garden quilt full of spinning dimensional flowers in bright colors to welcome spring!
Prepare templates for the stem, leaf and yo-yos using patterns given. Cut yo-yos as directed on the pattern. Prepare leaf and stem pieces for fusible appliqué referring to the patterns for number to cut and to Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 12. From green tonal: • Cut 8 (2" by fabric width) J/K strips. From pink tonal: • Cut 8 (11/4" by fabric width) H/I strips. • Cut 5 (41/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 64 (3" x 41/2")
N rectangles. From blue tonal: • Cut 1 (81/2" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 32 (11/4" x 81/2") C strips. • Cut 1 (13" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 32 (11/4" x 13") D strips. • Cut 8 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From white floral: • Cut 1 (13" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 12 (21/2" x 13")
E strips. • Cut 9 (21/2" by fabric width) F/G strips. • Cut 5 (41/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 64 (3" x 41/2")
N rectangles. From white tonal: • Cut 4 (71/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 32 (41/2" x 71/2")
A rectangles. • Cut 4 (41/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 32 (41/2") B squares. • Cut 8 (5" by fabric width) L/M strips.
COMPLETING THE PRAIRIE POINTS
1. Place one each pink tonal and white floral N rectangle right sides together and sew together along one 4½" edge. 2. Turn the stitched unit right side out, leaving 1⁄8" of the pink fabric showing at the top of the floral side as shown in Figure 1; press. 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to complete 32 N units with pink at the top and 32 with floral at the top, again referring to Figure 1.
4. Select one unit. Turn so narrow top strip is on the back side. Fold the top corners over to the center of the back to make a prairie point as shown in Figure 2; press. Baste to hold bottom edges in place.
5. Measure 21/4" from the tip of the point and trim excess along the bottom to complete one 21/4" x 41/2" prairie point as shown in Figure 3. 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to complete a total of 32 each floral and pink prairie points.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. To complete one Floral Blossom block, select one reverse stem, two leaves, four floral prairie points and two each A, B, C and D pieces.
2. Pin and stitch a prairie point with folded side up on one edge of the right side of one B square to make a B unit as shown in Figure 4; repeat to make a second B unit.
3. Pin and stitch a prairie point to one short end of A and to the top right long edge of the second A as in step 2 to make two A units referring to Figure 5. 4. Join the two B units to make the top row as shown in Figure 6; press toward B.
5. Join the two A units to make the bottom row as shown in Figure 7; press toward A.
6. Join the top and bottom rows to complete one floral center unit as shown in Figure 8; press.
7. Arrange and fuse the stem and leaves on the floral center unit, starting the stem under the lower right-hand prairie point and referring to the block drawing and Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 12.
8. Machine blanket-stitch around the edges of the stem and leaves with thread to match fabrics to complete the appliqué.
9. Sew a C strip to the top and bottom, and a D strip to opposite long sides of a center unit to complete one Floral Blossom block referring to the block drawing; press.
10. Repeat steps 1–9 to complete a total of eight Floral Blossom blocks.
11. Repeat steps 1–9 to complete eight Pink Blossom blocks referring to Figure 9 to make the pink center units and to the block drawing for stem and leaf placement.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Placement Diagram as needed for construction steps.
1. Arrange and join two each Pink Blossom and Floral Blossom blocks with three E strips, starting with a Pink Blossom block to make a pink row; press. Repeat to make a second pink row.
2. Repeat step 1 starting with a Floral Blossom block to make two floral rows; press.
3. Join the F/G strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into five 21/2" x 441/2" F strips and two 21/2" x 601/2" G strips.
4. Join the pink and floral rows with the F strips, beginning and ending with F; press. Add the G strips to opposite long sides to complete the pieced center; press.
5. Join the H/I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Repeat with J/K and L/M strips.
6. Join the strips on the long edges in alphabetical order to make one threecolor strip set; press.
7. Subcut the strip set into two each 66" top/bottom strips and 78" side strips.
8. Center and sew a side strip to opposite long sides of the pieced center, stopping stitching 1/4" from the corners of the pieced center; press. Repeat with the top and bottom strips.
9. Miter corners referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.
10. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 11. Quilt as desired. 12. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.
COMPLETING THE YO- YOS
1. Refer to Making Yo-Yos to complete a total of eight each pink and yellow yo-yos.
2. Center and hand-stitch a yellow yo-yo to the center of each Pink Blossom block and a pink yo-yo to the center of each Floral Blossom block.
3. Sew a button to the center of each yo-yo to complete the quilt.
Springtime! Placement Diagram 611/ 2" x 731/ 2"