Chorizo Hash & Eggs
SERVES 4 | ACTIVE: 35 MIN TOTAL: 35 MIN
1 lb. yellow- flesh potatoes (such as Yukon Gold), quartered
2 carrots, peeled and trimmed
6 tbsp. olive oil
1∕2 onion, chopped
1 package ( 3.5 oz.) shiitake mushrooms, caps sliced and stems discarded
4 oz. cured chorizo, cut into matchsticks
8 large eggs
1. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Using a food processor fitted with a shredding disk or the coarse side of a box grater, shred the potatoes and carrots. Transfer to the cold water.
2. In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium. Add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add the chorizo. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add 3 tbsp. oil to the same skillet. Drain the potatoes and carrots. Using your hands, squeeze out any excess moisture. Arrange half the potato mixture in an even layer in the skillet; season with salt. Spoon the chorizo mixture on top in an even layer. Top with the remaining potato mixture; season with salt. Cover with foil and cook for 6 minutes.
4. Using a spatula, carefully slide the hash onto a large plate. Place another large plate on top and invert the hash onto the top plate (so the bottom of the hash is facing up). Slide the hash back into the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are tender and just browned, about 6 minutes more. Divide among plates.
5. Add the remaining 2 tbsp. oil to the same skillet. Fry the eggs until the whites are just set, about 3 minutes; season. Place the eggs on top of the hash.
VACATION IS THE RIGHT TIME TO PERFECT YOUR BREAKFAST (OR BRUNCH) GAME. CONSIDER THIS ASSIGNMENT NO. 1.