• Bring them in! Would you want to hang out in a kennel in this weather?
• Create cozy nests for them and ensure your house stays as warm as possible when you’re not home by keeping windows and curtains closed, using draft excluders and closing off unused areas.
• Consider pajamas for certain breeds, seniors and animals with skin conditions.
• Make sure they get their exercise, but be cold- weather savvy. Once the temperature drops below 35 º F, it can become dangerous to take domesticated animals on even relatively short walks
• Smaller animals are generally more sensitive to the cold but even larger animals and Arctic breeds can be at risk. It’s okay to walk in shallow snow if your furry friend is fit and wearing a coat but regularly check that their paws aren’t becoming impacted with ice and avoid frozen waterways and areas that may have been salted. After your walk, wipe down their paws, legs and belly to remove any salt/ grit they may have picked up as it can cause illness if ingested.