PHYLLO CHICKPEA POT PIE Ingredients:
• 1 15- ounce can chickpeas, drained
• ½ cup vegan butter
• ½ cup celery, diced
• ½ cup white onion, diced
• 1- 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• ½ cup unbleached all- purpose flour
• 2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 cup plant milk
• 8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 º F. Spray a 9- inch p pie pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Melt ½ cup butter in a dutch oven over medium m heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Add cele celery, ry, garlic and thawed mixed vegetables and sauté another r 10 minutes. 3. Gradually, 1 tbsp. at a time, stir flour in to the dutch oven until all ingredients are coated.
4. Add broth and milk together in a bowl or mixing cup, then gradually stir into pot. Once incorporated, add the chickpeas.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. About 10- 15 minutes. Add in salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool while assembling the crust.
6. Pour the olive oil into a small bowl. Working one sheet at a time, use a brush to “paint” olive oil on phyllo dough. After each layer is brushed with oil, add to the bottom of the pie pan. With each layer fan them out to cover the bottom of the pan completely. ( The dough will hang over the edge and that is ok as we will fold it on top at the end.) Continue until all eight sheets are added making sure to paint the top of the last sheet with oil.
7. Pour mixture into the pie pan and gently fold phyllo dough over the mixture to “close” the pie. It will be open in the middle.
8. Bake in the oven for 25- 30 minutes. If you would like your crust a little more golden- brown, broil for an additional 1- 2 minutes. Note: When working with phyllo dough, make sure to keep it covered with plastic in between brushing each sheet with oil to make sure they do not dry out.