CLASSIC SUGAR COOKIES
( Yields about 2 dozen) Ingredients:
• 1 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
• 1 cup organic sugar
• 1- ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp flax seed, ground
• 3 tbsp warm water
• 3 cups all- purpose flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/ 2 tsp salt
1. In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax and warm water and set aside.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until smooth.
3. On medium- low speed, beat in vanilla extract and the flax egg until combined.
4. In a medium- sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients one cup at a time. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer finish off kneading the dough by hand. 5. Place the dough in a bowl and cover. Chill for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
6. Once chilled, divide into four batches and roll out onto a floured surface. Try to keep the dough between ¼ - and ⅛- inch thick. Use your favorite cookie cutters to shape and transfer to a prepared cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 350 º F for 6- 8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
8. Decorate as desired.