Rappahannock News

MOUNT SALEM BAPTIST CHURCH,

- — Rappahanno­ck Historical Society

located on Long Mountain Road, was first constitute­d in 1824. e present building was not erected until the 1850s, the constructi­on taking a period of years, and being built by volunteers. e stone edifice stands 40 . wide x 50 . long. William F. Broadus served as its first pastor, with John Fletcher being chosen as the first clerk, and James Yates and Elijah Bruce being selected as deacons. e church stayed active until 1942 when it closed, most of the members moving to Washington Baptist Church. In the 1970s, a campaign to restore it was begun, and in 1979 it was added to the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States