Record Observer - - OPINION -

The gov­er­nor is com­par­ing ap­ples to or­anges when he re­cently sug­gested an oys­ter mora­to­rium, ac­cord­ing to wa­ter­men, pack­ers and nat­u­ral re­source of­fi­cials.

Gov. Wil­liam Don­ald Schae­fer said last week that a mora­to­rium on oys­ter har­vest­ing would ben­e­fit the trou­ble oys­ter pop­u­la­tion much like the 1985 ban on striped bass fish­ing helped rock­fish make a come­back.

But crit­ics are quick to point out rock­fish were not vic­tims of dis­ease. Oys­ter bars have been rav­aged by the par­a­sites MSX ad Dermo, dis­eases dan­ger­ous to the oys­ter, not hu­mans. Wa­ter­men point out that left alone, oys­ters will die, so they might as well be har vested.


A man’s death does not nec­es­sar­ily mean an end of life, es­pe­cially for Robert Eakle.

Three days after his 59th birth­day, Eakle sud­denly died from a brain aneurysm on Nov. 19, 1992, ac­cord­ing to his widow, Suzi Eakle.

Suzi, who had been mar­ried to Bobby for 21 yers, re­calls those hor­ri­ble mo­ments at Ge­orge Wash­ing­ton Hos­pi­tal in Wash­ing­ton, D.C., where a doc­tor told Suzi her hus­band was clin­i­cally dead. A nurse later asked if the cou­ple ever con­sid­ered or­gan do­na­tion.

Now two women in the Mid­west cn see thanks to Eakle’s corneas, and a 35-year-old mother of two chil­dren in Wash­ing­ton, D.C., is now liv­ing a health­ier life with Eakle’s liver.

One of Eakle’s kid­neys went to a 35-year-old com­puter an­a­lyst who was on daily dial­y­sis be­fore his trans­plant. A 24-year-old D.C. man who had been ill since he was 12 re­ceived Eakle’s other kid­ney.

Suzi and their five chil­dren have never re­gret­ted their de­ci­sion.

• • •

Four Mid-shore post of­fices are among 28 in Mary­land be­ing re­viewed for pos­si­ble clo­sure by the United States Postal Ser­vice.

Post of­fices in Ch­ester on Kent Is­land, Clai­borne, Tay­lor’s Is­land and Win­gate, which have va­can­cies in the po­si­tion of post­mas­ter, may be closed after a lengthy re­view and ap­peal process be­gin­ning with ques­tion­naires be­ing sent out this week.

• • •

Fire com­pa­nies from three coun­ties bat­tled a three-alarm fire in one of the grain dry­ers at Wye Mills Grain Co. last Mon­day af­ter­noon.

The fire be­gan around

10:30 a.m., about five min­utes after the dryer was turned on, ac­cord­ing to Man­ager Lyn Mor­ris. The fire took two hours to con­trol.

The dryer was dam­aged ex­ten­sively and 2,000 bushels of soy­beans were lost in the fire, Mor­ris said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.