Rebels kill 7, snarling Ebola effort
BENI, Congo — Suspected rebels killed seven civilians in an overnight attack in northeastern Congo, a local official said Saturday, highlighting the threat to efforts to contain the latest Ebola virus outbreak nearby.
The administrator of Beni territory, Donat Kibwana, said the attack was likely carried out by Allied Democratic Forces fighters in Mayi-Moya, about 25 miles from Beni city.
Kibwana said it sent the local population fleeing. Such mass displacement complicates health workers’ efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak that has killed 11 people so far in the densely populated region near the Ugandan border.