Tribe take it to new heights
Though some teams’ seasons ended abruptly because of cancellations linked to COVID-19 concerns, the 2019-20 campaign brought standout performances in women’s basketball around the state. From a record year for William & Mary to a new scoring milestone set at George Mason to elite defensive play at multiple places, here’s a look back at some of the hardwood highlights in the commonwealth:
William & Mary, paced by offensive juggernaut Eva Hodgson, posted its highest win totals in program history this past season. The Tribe went 21-8 overall and 12-6 in Colonial Athletic Association play. In their 100-year history, they had never topped 20 wins, a mark reached in 1993-94 and 2016-17. The 12 wins in conference was a program record, too, as was the team’s 11 road wins (11-4 final record away from Kaplan Arena).
Hodgson, a sophomore guard from Rindge, N.H., averaged 20.7 points for William & Mary, the eighth-best mark in the country. She shot 54% overall from the field,
43.2% from 3-point range and 91.2% from the free throw line. She was the lone player in the nation this year to finish at least 50% overall, 40% from 3 and 90% from the line.
The Tribe’s season was cut short because of the cancellation of CAA tournament play Thursday.