• The fridge should not be installed near to the engine or stove.
• Installing it below the waterline will improve performance as the ambient temperature will be lower.
• All insulation should be closed-cell polyurethane foam and definitely not expanded polystyrene, which isn’t dense enough and absorbs moisture.
• Ideally the lid should have a double seal, one top and one bottom.
• Never leave an open drain at the bottom as the cold air will seep out.
• If you install an aircooled compressor in a locker it should have a free-flow of air, preferably fan-assisted.
• Compressors can draw up to 10 amps at startup and 4 to 5 amps continuously, so the correct size power cable is important. Too small and it will reduce the voltage reaching the compressor, noticeably reducing its efficiency.
• Keep the fridge full and open it as little as possible.
• Remove any cardboard packaging from the food as this will retain heat.