San Francisco Chronicle
COVID curbs Stevie Nicks’ S.F. tour stop
Stevie Nicks has been forced to postpone two Northern California solo concerts due to “COVID illness within her band,” the singer’s publicist announced just a day before her scheduled show at Chase Center in San Francisco on Thursday, March 23.
The Fleetwood Mac singer was also set to perform at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento on Sunday, March 26.
“Stevie has loved being back on stage and is so sorry to disappoint the fans, but she and the band are taking all safety precautions and will be back on tour soon,” according to a statement released Wednesday, March 22, by Nicks’ publicist.
Rescheduled dates will be announced at a future time.
The local concerts were part of her 14 solo headlining shows, which run intermittently alongside her previously announced “Two Icons One Night” stadium tour with Billy Joel, the next date of which is April 8 in Arlington, Texas.
Nicks, 74, was scheduled to headline the BottleRock Napa Valley music festival in 2021 but canceled her appearance due to COVID-19 concerns (she was originally supposed to appear at the 2020 festival, which was postponed because of the pandemic). She also dropped out of scheduled 2021 performances at the Jazz Aspen Festival in Colorado and the Austin City Limits Music Festival in Texas.
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame singer has eased her way back into the spotlight since then. She recently released a meditative cover of the Buffalo Springfield classic “For What It’s Worth,” a follow-up to her 2020 single “Show Them the Way.”
Nicks is the latest musician to see their tour sidelined by illness this year.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, who are scheduled to perform two concerts at Chase Center in December, were forced to postpone several shows on their current U.S. tour earlier this year due to COVID infections within the band. Members Steven Van Zandt, violinist/singer Soozie Tyrell, saxophonist Jake Clemons and several of the band’s touring backup singers also missed other dates after testing positive for the coronavirus.
Van Zandt assured fans on Twitter, however, that there’s “no need to be anxious or afraid. Nothing serious. Just a temporary situation. We will all be back in full force very soon.”
Earlier this week, Rod Stewart canceled a performance in Australia due to a “viral infection.” The 78-year-old singer said in a statement on Twitter that he was “absolutely downhearted” to disappoint his fans.
“Late this morning I was advised that I have a viral infection and my throat is too irritated to sing,” he said. “I’m only human and sometimes get sick just like you do. My greatest joy is performing for you, so I’m doing everything I can to get on the mend and back on stage!”
In his current Rolling Stone cover interview, English pop singer Ed Sheeran said he contracted COVID “at least seven times,” in part due to his travel schedule.