May­weather, Pac­quiao to fight a sec­ond time?

San Francisco Chronicle (Sunday) - - SPORTS -

Floyd May­weather Jr. says he’s com­ing out of re­tire­ment again to fight Manny Pac­quiao for a sec­ond time in De­cem­ber.

May­weather posted a video on In­sta­gram early Satur­day that showed him and Pac­quiao to­gether, re­port­edly in Ja­pan, jaw­ing at each other over a pos­si­ble sec­ond fight.

“I’m com­ing back to fight Manny Pac­quiao this year,” May­weather said. “An­other nine-fig­ure payday on the way.”

Whether the fight ac­tu­ally hap­pens re­mains to be seen. Odds­mak­ers at the West­gate Las Ve­gas Su­per­book im­me­di­ately made May­weather a 2-1 fa­vorite.

May­weather de­feated Pac­quiao in May 2015 in a mas­sively hyped fight that was largely panned by box­ing fans. The bout de­liv­ered a record 4.6 mil­lion pay-per-view buys, and Pac­quiao blamed an in­jured shoul­der for land­ing only 81 punches in the fight.

May­weather, who has won all 50 of his fights, last fought a year ago when he stopped Conor McGre­gor, the UFC star who was in his first pro­fes­sional box­ing match. The 41-yearold May­weather re­port­edly made more than $200 mil­lion for that fight, on top of a re­ported $300 mil­lion for his win over Pac­quiao.

Pac­quiao, the Filipino star and politi­cian who will be 40 in De­cem­ber, lost to un­her­alded Jeff Horn last year be­fore re­bound­ing with a win over Lu­cas Matthysse in Malaysia last month.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.