Of­fi­cer’s killer left note telling of ‘sonic waves’

San Francisco Chronicle (Sunday) - - CALIFORNIA - By Sarah Ra­vani Sarah Ra­vani is a San Francisco Chron­i­cle staff writer. Email: sra­[email protected]­i­cle.com Twit­ter: @SarRa­vani

A 48-year-old man iden­ti­fied as the gun­man in the am­bush killing of a 22-year-old Davis po­lice of­fi­cer left a note in his apart­ment say­ing that po­lice had hit him with “ul­tra sonic waves meant to keep dogs from bark­ing.”

The note was re­leased by Davis po­lice a few hours af­ter Kevin Dou­glas Lim­baugh of Davis was iden­ti­fied as the man who shot and killed Of­fi­cer Natalie Corona on Thurs­day while the rookie of­fi­cer was re­spond­ing to a rou­tine col­li­sion in down­town Davis, ac­cord­ing to the Yolo County Sher­iff ’s Of­fice.

Hours af­ter the shoot­ing, Lim­baugh killed him­self with a sin­gle gun­shot to the head as po­lice closed in, said Davis Po­lice Chief Dar­ren Py­tel. The note was found dur­ing a search by po­lice of Lim­baugh’s apart­ment.

“The Davis Po­lice depart­ment has been hit­ting me with ul­tra sonic waves meant to keep dogs from bark­ing,” read the note, which was typed on a com­puter. “I no­ti­fied the press, in­ter­nal af­fairs, and even the FBI about it. I am highly sen­si­tive to its af­fect (sic) on my in­ner ear. I did my best to ap­pease them, but they have con­tin­ued for years and I can’t live this way any­more.”

Ac­cord­ing to Lt. Paul Doroshov of the Davis po­lice, there’s no way to tell ex­actly when the note was typed.

“There have been a lot of ru­mors as to why this hap­pened, why he did what he did, and we’re hop­ing this sheds some light,” Doroshov said. As for the place­ment of the note, which was found face-up on Lim­baugh’s bed, “I re­ally can’t spec­u­late as to why it was there like that.”

The killing of Corona, and the shoot­ing spree that fol­lowed it, was not Lim­baugh’s first brush with the law.

In Septem­ber, Lim­baugh was ar­rested at his Davis home — the same place where he shot him­self — on a felony charge of bat­tery with se­ri­ous bod­ily in­jury, ac­cord­ing to Yolo County Su­pe­rior Court records.

The charge was re­duced to a mis­de­meanor in Oc­to­ber af­ter a plea deal in which Lim­baugh pleaded no con­test. The deal re­sulted in an eight-day jail sen­tence and pro­ba­tion.

Lim­baugh was also or­dered to sur­ren­der a black .223-cal­iber Bush­mas­ter semi­au­to­matic as­sault ri­fle, ac­cord­ing to court records.

Be­fore the Septem­ber in­ci­dent, Lim­baugh had no ar­rest record in Davis.

Court records show that Lim­baugh did not re­port hav­ing any other reg­is­tered weapons. Py­tel said Fri­day he did not know whether the two semi­au­to­matic hand­guns be­lieved to have been used in Corona’s slay­ing were ob­tained legally.

Records show that Lim­baugh was a res­i­dent of Wood­land (Yolo County) in 2004-05. He also had lived in Florida, New Mex­ico and Michi­gan.

The shoot­ing oc­curred Thurs­day night, when Lim­baugh rode up on a bi­cy­cle and opened fire. Corona fell to the ground af­ter she was struck by the first bul­let, but Lim­baugh con­tin­ued to fire, hit­ting her sev­eral times, in­clud­ing once in the neck, Py­tel said.

Lim­baugh then reloaded his hand­gun and con­tin­ued shoot­ing — strik­ing a pass­ing bus, the back­pack of a woman and the boot of a fire­fighter — be­fore go­ing back to his home near Fifth and E streets. He was iden­ti­fied as the sus­pect when au­thor­i­ties dis­cov­ered a back­pack he left at the scene.

Of­fi­cers later sur­rounded the home and or­dered Lim­baugh to come out­side. Wear­ing a bul­let­proof vest, he came out­side, yelled some­thing at the of­fi­cers and then went back into the house again. He emerged a sec­ond time — this time with a gun — be­fore re­treat­ing in­doors. No shots were fired by the of­fi­cers, Py­tel said.

Of­fi­cers sent a ro­bot into the house af­ter hear­ing a sin­gle gun­shot. Lim­baugh was found to have shot him­self in the head, po­lice re­ported.

It does not ap­pear that Lim­baugh and Corona had ever crossed paths be­fore the shoot­ing, Py­tel said.

On Fri­day, the chief met with the depart­ment’s of­fi­cers and to tell them about the time­line of the shoot­ing and Corona’s in­juries in ad­vance of the pub­lic an­nounce­ment, said Amy Juarez, a po­lice spokes­woman.

The chief also of­fered grief coun­sel­ing for mem­bers of his depart­ment.

“We were all just in shock,” Juarez said. “We see it ev­ery day on the news, on our sur­round­ing agen­cies’ social me­dia about of­fi­cer killings, and it’s heart­break­ing ev­ery time. But you never think it’s go­ing to be your depart­ment.”

A me­mo­rial ser­vice for Corona is ex­pected to be held in about 10 days, Juarez added.

Mean­while, Davis is try­ing to find a way to make sense of the sense­less killing. It was the first on-duty of­fi­cer death there in nearly 60 years.

Stephanie Teague, 38, who or­ga­nized a can­dle­light vigil for Corona on Satur­day evening at Cen­tral Park, said the en­tire town has been step­ping for­ward to help.

Busi­nesses and res­i­dents are do­nat­ing food and sup­plies to fam­ily mem­bers. Many fam­i­lies have do­nated dozens of can­dles to be used at the vigil and vol­un­teered to clean up af­ter the event.

“I want this to be a time of mourn­ing, a time for peo­ple to band to­gether and be a com­mu­nity and grieve to­gether,” Teague said.

Thurs­day night is hard to for­get for Mayor Brett Lee. He was in a meet­ing when he re­ceived a text mes­sage that an ac­tive shooter was loose down­town.

Af­ter the lock­down ended, he raced over to the Po­lice Depart­ment and waited with of­fi­cers and City Coun­cil mem­bers for news about Corona and the sus­pect.

“We need to be sup­port­ive of our first re­spon­ders, of the Po­lice Depart­ment and the Fire Depart­ment, who on a daily ba­sis are asked to step into sit­u­a­tions that are chal­leng­ing to their lives,” Lee said. “Any town in Amer­ica can ex­pe­ri­ence this.”

Corona’s death is one of sev­eral re­cent, high-pro­file killings of law en­force­ment of­fi­cers. Less than three weeks ago, Cpl. Ronil Singh was fa­tally shot in New­man (Stanis­laus County) dur­ing a traf­fic stop.

Of­fi­cer Cha­teri Payne, 22, was shot and killed Wed­nes­day in Shreve­port, La.

“Of course, this is re­ally sur­pris­ing,” said Teague, the vigil or­ga­nizer. “Ob­vi­ously, you don’t think this is go­ing to hap­pen. But to a cer­tain ex­tent, this is the world we live in. Davis is not im­mune to the rest of the world.”

Davis Po­lice Depart­ment

Davis po­lice Of­fi­cer Natalie Corona was fa­tally shot Thurs­day. Au­thor­i­ties have re­leased a note left by the gun­man.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.