STAY­ING IN JAIL

One sus­pect in Cameron Martinez’s slay­ing is de­nied bail; oth­ers opt to have their hear­ings post­poned

Santa Fe New Mexican - - FRONT PAGE - By Phae­dra Hay­wood phay­wood@sfnewmex­i­can.com

As­tate Dis­trict Court judge in Santa Fe ruled Fri­day that An­ton Martinez, one of four adult sus­pects charged in last week’s fa­tal shoot­ing of a teen on a high­way north of Es­pañola, was too dan­ger­ous to be al­lowed out of jail while await­ing trial.

Dis­trict At­tor­ney Marco Serna said Martinez, who faces a mur­der charge, proved he was a threat to the com­mu­nity when he armed him­self with a Colt .45 pro­vided by his friend Mark Hice and be­gan shoot­ing, in­dis­crim­i­nately, at a car full of teenagers when Hice gave the or­der.

New Mex­ico State Po­lice believe the shoot­ing vic­tims — Cameron Martinez, 18, a pop­u­lar grad­u­ate of Es­pañola High School who was killed by a gun­shot wound, and three oth­ers who were in­jured — were tar­geted by mis­take.

Serna said Hice told po­lice he had fired nine shots dur­ing the in­ci­dent, while an­other sus­pect “fired a full

magazine” and 19-year-old An­ton Martinez fired once.

But An­ton Martinez’s at­tor­ney, Stephen Aarons, ar­gued that wit­nesses gave con­flict­ing tes­ti­mony about whether his client had fired any shots.

An­ton Martinez’s older brother took the stand Fri­day, tes­ti­fy­ing that an­other teen rid­ing in the car that night had said in so­cial me­dia mes­sages that An­ton had not fired on Cameron Martinez and his friends. In­stead, the brother said, An­ton Martinez had joined other oc­cu­pants of the ve­hi­cle in urg­ing Hice to stop fir­ing.

Dis­trict Judge Ja­son Lid­yard ruled in fa­vor of state prose­cu­tors, how­ever, say­ing Serna had pre­sented suf­fi­cient ev­i­dence An­ton Martinez was a threat to the com­mu­nity and should not be re­leased pend­ing his trial.

An­ton Martinez is one of seven peo­ple — three of them mi­nors — who have been ar­rested since the shoot­ing, which oc­curred around 9:30 p.m. Oct. 4 on N.M. 68 near the Ohkay Ho­tel Casino.

State po­lice have charged An­ton Martinez, Hice, 22, and Axel Za­mar­ron, 17, with first-de­gree mur­der. Ar­rest war­rant af­fi­davits say Hice ad­mit­ted to of­fi­cers that he gave guns to sev­eral of his friends, and they drove around in two cars Oct. 4, pre­pared to open fire on peo­ple who had been threat­en­ing him on so­cial me­dia.

Hice’s girl­friend, Brit­tany Gar­cia, 21, along with Ka­tryna Moya, 17, and Ale­jan­dra Gon­za­lez, 16, have been charged with lesser crimes, in­clud­ing tam­per­ing with ev­i­dence and con­spir­acy.

State po­lice Of­fi­cer Ray Wil­son, a spokesman for the agency, said a sev­enth sus­pect, 23-year-old Sa­van­nah Martinez, turned her­self in around 3 p.m. Thurs­day. It was un­clear what charges she may face.

Ac­cord­ing to ini­tial po­lice re­ports, Hice, An­ton Martinez, Gar­cia and Sa­van­nah Martinez were in one car and Za­mar­ron, Moya and Ale­jan­dra Gon­za­lez were in an­other.

The group had been cruis­ing N.M. 68 on high alert, Hice told po­lice. Some of them had been in­volved in an al­ter­ca­tion on the high­way ear­lier in the day, fir­ing shots at an­other group of teens.

When they en­coun­tered the ve­hi­cle car­ry­ing Cameron Martinez and his friends, they mis­took them for some of their “en­e­mies” and opened fire, re­al­iz­ing later they had tar­geted the wrong peo­ple, ac­cord­ing to re­ports.

De­ten­tion hear­ings for Hice and Gar­cia also were sched­uled Fri­day, but their at­tor­neys said they were waiv­ing their rights to ex­pe­dited hear­ings on prose­cu­tors’ mo­tions to de­tain them with­out bail un­til trial. The at­tor­neys wanted more time to pre­pare for the hear­ings, they said.

Friends and fam­ily mem­bers of both vic­tims and sus­pects — many of them young peo­ple — packed Lid­yard’s court­room for the Fri­day hear­ing. Many of them were in tears over the fa­tal shoot­ing, which has deeply af­fected res­i­dents of the Es­pañola Val­ley.

An­ton Martinez’s aunt, Nancy Martinez, said af­ter the hear­ing she didn’t feel the state had proven her nephew fired a gun.

But, she said, she un­der­stood the com­mu­nity’s need for some type of jus­tice and felt it would help those in mourn­ing “know­ing some­thing was be­ing done.”

“I think the com­mu­nity needs to grieve,” she said. “The judge not let­ting him out pro­tects him in a cer­tain way, too, be­cause the com­mu­nity is re­ally an­gry. And he’s just a kid, too.”

RIGHT: An­ton Martinez, one of the sus­pects in the shoot­ing death of Cameron Martinez, walks out of Dis­trict Court on Fri­day. State prose­cu­tors ar­gued that the three adult sus­pects in the shoot­ing case are too dan­ger­ous to be re­leased pend­ing trial.

BELOW: Ur­ban Martinez, fa­ther of Cameron Martinez, watches Fri­day as Mark Hice, one of the sus­pects in the shoot­ing death of his son, walks into Dis­trict Court.

ABOVE: Mark Hice, one of the sus­pects in the shoot­ing death of Cameron Martinez, walks into Dis­trict Court on Fri­day.

PHO­TOS BY LUIS SÁNCHEZ SATURNO THE NEW MEX­I­CAN

LEFT: Brit­tany Gar­cia, one of the sus­pects in the shoot­ing death, walks out of Dis­trict Court.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.