Salmon With Dill Over Horseradish-Cauliflower Puree
START TO FINISH: 20 minutes
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, plus more for serving
1 onion, finely chopped Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head cauliflower (2½ pounds), cut into 1-inch florets
2 tablespoons pine nuts
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
2 tablespoons freshly grated or jarred horseradish
3 tablespoons chopped dill
1. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the edges are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the cauliflower and pine nuts and stir until evenly coated, about 1 minute. Add the almond milk, ½ cup water, and a large pinch of salt.
Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, season the salmon all over with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining teaspoon oil in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet. Add the salmon and cook until the bottom is browned, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is browned and the outside is opaque, about 3 minutes. The center will be medium-rare.
4. Puree the cauliflower mixture in a blender until smooth. Add the horseradish and a generous pinch of salt and pepper; puree to mix. Season to taste with salt.
5. Divide the cauliflower puree among 4 serving plates and top with the salmon. Sprinkle the dill on the salmon and zest the lemon directly on top. Cut the lemon in wedges and put one on each plate for squeezing. Drizzle with oil and serve immediately.