Coconut Tres Leches Cupcakes
PREP: 35 min. + chilling BAKE: 20 min. + cooling MAKES: 11/2 dozen
This cupcake version of tres leches cake uses four types of milk to make it moist and delicious. Toasted coconut on top adds a tropical twist. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
1/2 cup butter, softened
11/2 cups sugar
11/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
11/3 cups buttermilk
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
11/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
Toasted sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.
3. Fill prepared cups about two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 17-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to a 15x10x1-in. pan.
4. In a large bowl, mix sweetened condensed, evaporated and coconut milks. Poke holes in cupcakes with a skewer, about 1/2 in. apart. Slowly spoon milk mixture over top, allowing it to absorb into cake. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours.
5. To serve, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spread or pipe over cupcakes. Top with coconut. Store in the refrigerator.
PER CUPCAKE 342 cal., 16g fat (11g sat. fat), 47mg chol., 226mg sod., 44g carb. (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g pro.