Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower Soup
PREP: 20 min. • COOK: 6 hours MAKES: 14 servings (31/2 qt.)
I love indulgent cream soups but not the fat that goes along with them, so I came up with a healthier version. The velvety texture of this cauliflower soup makes it feel so rich, and the spicy kick warms you up in a flash. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, MI
1³/4 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes
(about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-in. cubes
1 medium head cauliflower (about
11/2 lbs.), cut into 1-in. pieces 1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bay leaf
3 tsp. dried celery flakes
11/2 tsp. salt 11/2 tsp. adobo seasoning
³/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
6 cups water
³/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions and croutons
1. Place the first 10 ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add water; sprinkle milk powder over the top.
2. Cook, covered, on low until the cauliflower is very tender, 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaf. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return soup to slow cooker and heat through. Serve with optional toppings as desired.
PER SERVING 80 cal., 0 fat (0 sat. fat), 1mg chol., 434mg sod., 17g carb. (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g pro.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable,
TEST KITCHEN TIPS
• For added flavor, one 32-oz. carton of vegetable or chicken stock may be substituted for 4 cups of water.
• Be sure to cook the vegetables until the cauliflower is very tender so it can be processed to a smooth texture.
• When processing hot liquids in a blender, cool the mixture slightly and don’t fill the blender jar too much. Follow the manufacturer’s directions, removing the filler cap if necessary. Hold down the lid, protecting your hand with a thick towel or oven mitt, and begin blending at the lowest speed.
• For an indulgent touch, serve this soup with a small dollop of sour cream.