Poland: Fire kills 5 teens locked in es­cape room

South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Sunday) - - Nation & World -

WAR­SAW, Poland — A faulty heat­ing sys­tem ap­peared to have caused a fire at a house in north­ern Poland where five teenage girls died while locked in­side a recre­ational es­cape room that was in­stalled in the rented dwelling, in­ves­ti­ga­tors said Sat­ur­day.

Fire­fight­ers in the city of Kosza­lin found the bod­ies of the 15-year-old vic­tims Fri­day af­ter they ex­tin­guished a fire in a room ad­ja­cent to the one the girls had en­tered while cel­e­brat­ing a birth­day.

Au­top­sies showed the girls died of car­bon monox­ide asphyxiation, pros­e­cu­tors said, us­ing a tech­ni­cal term for smoke in­hala­tion.

A 26-year-old man em­ployed at the lo­ca­tion was hos­pi­tal­ized with burns.

Play­ers in es­cape room games are locked in­side a room or build­ing and must solve puz­zles and find clues that lead them to the key that will un­lock the door.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.