Gingerbread Cheesecake with Lemon-Ginger Glaze,
ACTIVE 50 MIN. - TOTAL 3 HOURS,
PLUS 8 HOURS CHILLING
| SERVES 12-16|
12 ⁄ 2 1 CRUST cups Tbsp. tsp. gingersnap ground (8 dark oz.) brown ginger finely cookie sugar crushed crumbs
14 ⁄ 5 tsp. Tbsp. kosher unsalted salt butter, melted
3 FILLING (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, at
1 14 ⁄ cups packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 large eggs, at room temperature 1 cup sour cream, at room
temperature 12 ⁄ cup finely chopped crystallized
4 tsp. lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
12 ⁄ cup granulated sugar 4 tsp. lemon zest plus 13 ⁄ cup
fresh juice (from 3 lemons)
4 large egg yolks 3 Tbsp. very finely chopped fresh
ginger 14 ⁄ cup cold unsalted butter, cut
into 4 pieces
1. Prepare the Crust: Preheat oven to 325°F. Tightly wrap bottom and outside of a 9-inch springform pan with 3 or 4 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. (This will protect the cheesecake as it bakes in the water bath.)
2. Stir together cookie crumbs, dark brown sugar, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. Drizzle melted butter over crumb mixture, and toss with a fork to moisten evenly. Press mixture across bottom and about 1⁄2 inch up inside of prepared springform pan. (Press edges with bottom of a straight-sided measuring cup to ensure they are not too thick.)
3. Bake in preheated oven until set and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack until ready to use.
4. Prepare the Filling: Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, light, and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add brown sugar, ground ginger, and cinnamon, and beat until well combined and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well and stopping to scrape down sides of bowl after each addition. Add sour cream, crystallized ginger, lemon zest, and vanilla, and beat just until combined, about 1 minute. Pour into cooled Crust. Firmly tap pan several times on countertop to remove any air bubbles. Place springform pan inside a large roasting pan. Add very hot tap water to roasting pan to come halfway up outside of springform pan.
5. Bake cheesecake in water bath at 325°F until edges of Filling are set and center jiggles slightly when pan is gently jostled, about 1 hour. Turn off oven, and prop door open about 1 inch. Let cheesecake stand in oven 1 hour.
6. Remove cheesecake from oven, lift springform pan from water bath, and remove foil. Run a thin knife around edge of cheesecake to loosen from pan. Chill, uncovered, 8 hours or up to 2 days. 7. Prepare the Glaze: Whisk together sugar and lemon juice in a small, heavy saucepan until smooth. Whisk in yolks until smooth. Whisk in ginger and lemon zest; add butter. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula, until mixture is thick and begins to bubble around edge of pan, 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Pour Glaze through a fine wiremesh strainer into a small bowl, pressing firmly on solids with spatula; discard solids. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of Glaze to prevent a film from forming. Chill at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. (Glaze will continue to thicken slightly as it cools.)
9. Just before serving, remove outer ring from springform pan. Spoon Glaze over top of chilled cheesecake, and spread to edges. Slice and serve immediately.