TODAY’S BIRTHDAY (Jan. 14): Greatness always involves some level of surrender. Novice performers sing a song. Your lucky numbers are: 8, 40, 28, 1 and 27.
ARIES (March 21-April 19): The old saying “a penny for your thoughts” wasn’t accounting for inflation. Your thoughts are worth much more.
TAURUS (April 20-May 20): Whereas some attack projects, you approach, negotiate, arrange, organize, compartmentalize and dance with them. Your work today will be as graceful as art.
GEMINI (May 21-June 21): Can you provide people with a reason to feel delighted, uplifted and hopeful about what’s to come? If so, you’ll be one of the few today.
CANCER (June 22-July 22): You’ll deflect praise back to the praiser and direct negativity and criticism toward a constructive purpose — practices of a great leader.
LEO (July 23-Aug. 22): You need time to process your feelings and may, in the meantime, behave differently toward the source of your discomfort, which is only natural.
VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22): You’ve been gentle with yourself and let yourself ease into the work, but now it’s time to push, perhaps even force yourself to discover your grit.
LIBRA (Sept. 23-Oct. 23): It’s not like you to pursue a thing halfheartedly. When it happens, you have to ask yourself, “Why am I holding back?” Do you sense something’s off about the situation, or is this about your confidence?
SCORPIO (Oct. 24-Nov. 21): Finally, some progress in affairs of the heart. And the best part is that you didn’t have to ask annoying questions such as, “Can we talk?” Somehow, you just naturally got onto the same page.
SAGITTARIUS (Nov. 22-Dec. 21): Harmony isn’t always reached through hard work and finagling. Today will prove the concept. Metaphorically, you just open your mouth and start singing.
CAPRICORN (Dec. 22-Jan. 19): The critical find it easy to criticize; the agreeable find it easy to agree. Both have advantages and follies. A learning exercise: Wherever you are on the spectrum, seek a tone on the other side and give it a whirl.
AQUARIUS (Jan. 20-Feb. 18): For 90 percent of the day, what you say will not be so important as how you say it. But for the remaining 10 percent (and you’ll sense it when you’re there), do endeavor to get the message exactly right. PISCES (Feb. 19-March 20): Having someone to report to will make the difference when it comes to getting to the goal. If this sort of relationship doesn’t exist naturally in your current life, set it up.