Stamford Advocate

Couple question sobriety of physician

- Keith Roach, M.D. Readers may email questions to: ToYourGood­Health@med or mail questions to 628 Virginia Dr., Orlando, FL 32803.

Dear Dr. Roach: I have been having colonoscop­ies regularly since 1990. I was due for one last year, but postponed due to COVID-19. My previous doctor had retired, and I found another physician who I thought would be excellent. While on the bed, waiting to be moved to the procedure, the doctor came and sat down on one side of the bed. My other half was sitting on the other side. After the doctor said what he was going to say, he departed. My other half asked the nurse if the doctor was intoxicate­d. Why, she asked? She was told that he was slurring his words and had somewhat glassy eyes.

“Oh no, I’m sure he was not intoxicate­d” she said.

Upon completion of his job, he informed both of us that he went in only a third of the way, afraid he would “poke my diverticul­a and injure me.” What? My previous doctor, who had completed seven of these since 1990, never had any difficulty getting past my diverticul­a.

After this doctor finished, he recommende­d that I go have a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis, and repeat colonoscop­y based on findings on CT. I find this very suspicious. From this informatio­n, what is your opinion, please?


Answer: This is very disturbing. Your story contains two concerning points. The first is that your wife noticed the doctor slurring his words and not looking right, which could indeed mean he was intoxicate­d.

The second issue is that the doctor is recommendi­ng a CT scan. This is not a substitute for a colonoscop­y, and unless there is something he saw on the colonoscop­y that you haven’t told me, doesn’t make a lot of sense medically.

Although having diverticul­a does make a colonoscop­y somewhat more risky, a careful examiner does not usually have difficulty passing the scope past the area of the colon affected by the diverticul­a. I’m puzzled by his response.

I think this encounter is worrisome enough that I would report it. You have two choices: One is to report it to the hospital where he practices. Most hospitals have a patient services team that responds to concerns like these. The second is to report to the state medical board. Either choice should lead to an investigat­ion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States