Stamford Advocate

State’s attorney awaits report in murder case

- By Ethan Fry and Peter Yankowski

VERNON — The Tolland Judicial District’s top prosecutor told a judge Friday that he was still waiting for one report in the Willington murder case against Peter Manfredoni­a, a former UConn student who authoritie­s said fled the state after two killings in 2020.

Manfredoni­a, clad in a beige jumpsuit, appeared virtually for the short hearing before Judge Connie L. Klatt.

Tolland State’s Attorney Matthew Gedansky told Klatt, “We’re waiting on one more report that I think will be helpful toward the dispositio­n.”

Gedansky did not elaborate on what the report entailed before asking that the case to be continued to November.

Manfredoni­a’s lawyer, Michael Dolan, said afterward that more may happen at his client’s next court appearance.

“I expect to have more substantiv­e discussion­s regarding the case in November,” he said.

In the case prosecuted by Gedansky, Manfredoni­a faces charges including murder, attempted murder and first-degree assault of elderly victim in connection with a May 2020 attack in Willington that killed 62-year-old Ted DeMers and severely injured another man, according to records.

Authoritie­s allege Manfredoni­a attacked DeMers with a samuraisty­le sword, fatally injuring him, records show.

DeMers’ neighbor, John Franco, was also attacked by Manfredoni­a when he tried to intervene in the assault, according to accounts by his wife and police.

After the assault, police said, Manfredoni­a held a homeowner in Willington hostage after breaking in and stealing the man’s guns. For this, Manfredoni­a faces charges including first-degree larceny, first-degree robbery and home invasion.

After stealing the man’s vehicle and leaving him tied up in his basement, police said Manfredoni­a went to Derby, where he fatally shot 23-year-old Nicholas Eisele in his home, records show.

Authoritie­s allege he then forced Eisele’s girlfriend to drive him to New Jersey, where he released her unharmed, according to arrest records.

Manfredoni­a was eventually captured by police in Maryland, after he was recognized by his height at a truck stop. He was later extradited back to Connecticu­t to face charges, officials said.

In the Milford Judicial District, Manfredoni­a faces charges of felony murder, murder, firstdegre­e kidnapping, home invasion, first-degree robbery and and carrying a pistol without a permit.

Manfredoni­a has pleaded not guilty to the charges in both Tolland and Milford judicial districts, records show. He has been in custody since June 2020 on a combined $12 million bond.

Given he was arrested during the pandemic, Manfredoni­a has appeared virtually at many of his court appearance­s. Gedansky said Friday that Manfredoni­a could appear in person during his next hearing in state Superior Court at Rockville.

Klatt continued the case to Nov. 23.

 ?? Connecticu­t State Police / ?? Peter Manfredoni­a
Connecticu­t State Police / Peter Manfredoni­a

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United States