Af­ter month-long coma, Dal­las woman dies from botched nose job in Mex­ico

Star-Telegram (Sunday) - - News - BY KALEY JOHN­SON kjohn­[email protected]­

A Dal­las woman who was on life sup­port af­ter re­ceiv­ing plas­tic surgery at a clinic in Mex­ico in Oc­to­ber died on Satur­day, her fam­ily said.

Laura Avila, orig­i­nally from El Paso but now liv­ing in Dal­las, went to “Rhinocen­ter” surgery cen­ter in Cuidad Juarez on Oct. 30 to have work done on her nose, ac­cord­ing to the fam­ily’s GoFundMe. She never woke up. “Without knowl­edge to her fiancé, Laura suf­fered a car­diac ar­rest for four min­utes,” the GoFundMe said. “She was then placed into a med­i­cally in­duced coma to pre­vent fur­ther dam­age to her brain that was caused by the com­pli­ca­tions she ex­pe­ri­enced dur­ing anes­the­sia.”

On Satur­day, her sis­ter, Angie Avila, said her sis­ter died at 8:30 Satur­day morn­ing af­ter be­ing in a coma for nearly a month.

“My heart aches, and I truly don’t know how or if I’ll ever over­come this pain,” Angie Avila wrote in a Face­book post.

Af­ter re­ceiv­ing the botched surgery in Oc­to­ber, Laura Avila spent six days in an In­ten­sive Care Unit in Mex­ico be­fore be­ing trans­ferred to a hos­pi­tal in El Paso. She was hav­ing seizures due to brain dam­age.

Only af­ter Avila’s fam­ily paid the hos­pi­tal bill in full in Mex­ico did her doc­tors grant her trans­fer to a hos­pi­tal in El Paso, her fam­ily said on GoFundMe. They hired lawyers in Juarez to get Laura’s full med­i­cal records.

The fam­ily’s fundraiser for Avila had raised about $80,000 of its $150,000 goal as of Satur­day af­ter­noon. The fam­ily said $25,000 in med­i­cal costs was in­curred in Juarez and the en­tire fam­ily has missed work for weeks to be with Avila.

LAURA AVILA Face­book screen­shot

Dal­las res­i­dent Laura Avila has died af­ter com­pli­ca­tions from anes­the­sia when she went to a Mex­i­can plas­tic sur­geon for a nose job.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.