Jan. 13 marked the 45th anniversary of the opening of what is now the Dallas/ Fort Worth International Airport. Plans to build a regional airport for the Dallas/Fort Worth area started as early as 1940, but disagreements between the two cities over a variety of considerations delayed building plans for over two decades. The Civil Aeronautics Board ordered Dallas and Fort Worth to agree on a location for a regional airport in 1964. This led political leaders to meet and settle on an 18,000-acre site straddling the Dallas and Tarrant county lines, a location roughly equidistant between the two cities. Construction began in 1968 on the $700 million airport.
Dallas/Fort Worth Regional Airport held an open house and dedication ceremony on Sept. 20-23, 1973. Pictured here on Sept. 23 is the first Concorde to land in the U.S. – an Air France flight en route from Caracas to Paris. The first commercial flight to land on opening day, Jan. 13, 1974, was American Airlines Flight 341 from New York. D/ FW became an international airport in 1985.
The University of Texas at Arlington Library offers a rich and diverse collection of materials on the history of Texas and the Southwest. Each week, readers get a glimpse of the past with an image from Special Collections. 817-272-3393; library.uta.edu/special