Sun Sentinel Broward Edition
Easy steamed artichokes
Makes: 4 servings.
4 medium artichokes (about 12 ounces each)
4 lemons, divided 1 tablespoon coarse salt Hollandaise sauce, mayonnaise or melted butter for serving, optional
1. Trim stem so artichoke stands upright, then snap off tough outer leaves. Snip remaining sharp or spiky tips using kitchen shears. Using a serrated or chef’s knife, cut off the top third or so of the artichoke.
2. Cut 2 lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a large bowl of ice water, then toss the halves in. Set aside
3. Rub surfaces of the artichoke with the third lemon, halved crosswise, to prevent discoloration, or dip it into lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes and lemon.
4. Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Add enough water so it reaches just below the basket. Squeeze lemon juice from the lemon into water and add salt. Bring to a boil. 5. Place artichokes in steamer basket. Cover pot and steam until heart is tender when pierced with a tip of a paring knife and inner leaves pull out easily, 25 to 35 minutes; add more water to pot, if necessary.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature with Hollandaise sauce, mayonnaise or melted butter for dipping.
— Adapted from marthastewart.com