Keeping children safe:
• Pool owners can install fences with a lock and self-closing gate to keep children away from the pool when an adult is not present.
• Installing door alarms can alert a parent or caregiver that an exterior door has been opened, especially if the door has access to any body of water like retention ponds, canals or even fountains.
• Young children can drown in as little as one inch of water. Ensure bathtubs, mop buckets & inflatable pools are drained after each use.
• Always provide adult supervision for children in or around water. Children drown silently and in as little as 20 seconds. Designating a “water watcher” is a simple measure that ensures an adult is supervising children at all times when they are in or around water.
• Enrolling children in formal swimming lessons reduces their lifetime chances of drowning by 88 percent. • Become CPR certified. A drowning victim has a significantly increased chance of a positive outcome if CPR is started immediately versus waiting for first responders to arrive.