Taste of Home
Concha (Mexican sweet bread) is a breakfast or snack pastry found all over Mexico. It has a fluffy briochelike dough with a crispy streusel topping, scored to resemble a shell.
—Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, AZ
Prep: 45 min. + rising • Bake: 15 min. Makes: 1 dozen
1/3 cup sugar 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground cinnamon 5 to 51/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup 2% milk 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed 2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened 1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 oz. semisweet chocolate, ground
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. 2% milk
1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
Add eggs; beat on high 2 minutes.
Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
2. Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. To make streusel, in a large bowl, beat butter, flour, sugar and vanilla until combined. Divide mixture in half. Mix the chocolate into 1 half; set aside.
4. Punch down the dough. Divide the dough into 12 portions; form each portion into a 3-in. oval. Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg with milk; brush over dough. Divide plain streusel into 6 portions; roll each into a 3-in. circle. Place over half the rolls. Repeat with the chocolate streusel and remaining rolls. Using a sharp knife, cut through streusel on top of rolls to resemble a clamshell.
5. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 375°. Brush rolls with remaining egg wash. Bake until the tops are lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 ROLL 475 cal., 19g fat (11g sat. fat), 89mg chol., 229mg sod., 67g carb. (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g pro.