Statistics compiled by Dr. Richard Tobin, Harwood Museum director
• 25-35 percent of artists with gallery representation in the U.S. and U.K. are women.
• Two women made the list of “100 most expensive artists of all time.”
• Five women made the list of the top 100 artists by cumulative auction value for 2011-16.
• Two works on a list of top 100 individual works sold between 2011 - 2016 were by women (75 of those 100 artworks came
• 5 percent of artworks on major museum walls in the US are by women.
• 3-5 percent of artworks in permanent collections of major U.S. museums are by women.
• Less than 4 percent of the artists in the modern art section of the Metropolitan Museum of Art are women while 76 percent of the nudes are female.
• 27 percent of 590 solo exhibitions at 79 institutions over six years went to women artists.
• 9 percent of the artists in the 9th edition of Janson’s History of Western Art are