Neshaminy vic­to­ri­ous in Bat­tle of Ben­salem

The Advance of Bucks County - - SPORTS - By Bill Kenny

For Buck­sLo­calS­ports BEN­SALEM — Redskins head coach Mark Sch­midt was nowhere to be found but the Neshaminy High School football team still couldn’t es­cape drama last Fri­day night in a Subur­ban One League Na­tional Con­fer­ence game at Ben­salem.

With Sch­midt sit­ting out on a one-game sus­pen­sion for al­legedly man-han­dling one of his own play­ers dur­ing Neshaminy’s pre­vi­ous game, the Redskins had to fight off a fu­ri­ous sec­ond­half rally from the Owls to emerge with a 42-33 vic­tory and stay on track for a Dis­trict One play­off berth.

Half­back Nate Hall rushed for more than 200 yards, while wide re­ceiver Cole Creighton scored a pair of long touch­downs, al­low­ing Neshaminy to over­come a spec­tac­u­lar aerial dis­play from Owls quar­ter­back hevin Hop­kins and his fa­vorite tar­get, Donnie Reed.

Hop­kins passed for 234 yards and two touch­downs, while Reed racked up 206 yards re­ceiv­ing and one score.

Neshaminy led 28-7 mo­ments into the third quar­ter as full­back Denny Lord raced 81 yards with the sec­ond half kick­off, then barged an­other seven yards for a touch­down.

But it took Ben­salem just 10 min­utes to string to­gether three touch­downs and nar­row the gap to one point at 28-27. Only an ex­tra point block by Neshaminy’s Trokon Bues­maill stopped the Owls from ty­ing the game with 6:53 to go in reg­u­la­tion.

Hall’s break­away run­ning iced the vic­tory for the Redskins. He ran 56 yards to give Neshaminy a 35-27 edge with 6:34 to go, then af­ter an­other Ben­salem touch­down, added a 45-yard touch­down scam­per with 2:30 to go, putting Neshaminy up 42-33.

As­sis­tant Head Coach Steve Wil­mont was the pri­mary offensive play-caller in Sch­midt’s ab­sence, while co-de­fen­sive co­or­di­na­tors Neil French and Jay Wei- den­baugh man­aged the de­fense as usual.

Iron­i­cally, Ben­salem man­aged to do lit­tle with the Redskins’ D throughout the first half. The Owls re­mained pinned in their own ter­ri­tory un­til a muffed punt gave them their only real scor­ing op­por­tu­nity of the half.

Ben­salem’s Tayvon Mays fell on the loose football at the Redskins’ 21. The Owls cap­i­tal­ized when Hop­kins con­nected with Reed for 18 yards. Then full­back Ian Pis­archuk ran up the mid­dle for a two-yard touch­down, as Ben­salem took a 7-0 lead late in the first quar­ter.

The sec­ond pe­riod be­longed to Neshaminy with

Hall’s 11-yard touch­down run, Creighton’s 61-yard touch­down re­cep­tion from Justin An­drews and Creighton’s 65-yard punt re­turn pro­vid­ing the Redskins a 21-7 lead.

But the Hop­kins to Reed pass­ing com­bi­na­tion led the Owls back. The pair hooked up 11 times for 206 yards in the game, mostly af­ter in­ter­mis­sion.

Ben­salem re­gained the mo­men­tum on a 75-yard, 12-play drive that in­cluded two Neshaminy pass in­ter­fer­ence penal­ties and a key third-down off-sides call against the Redskins.

Qhyle Eli­jah’s zig-zag­ging five-yard touch­down run made the score 28-14. Reed’s 52-yard pass from Hop­kins made it 28-21 with 1:14 to go in the third quar­ter.

Reed’s 40-yard re­cep­tion with seven min­utes to go in the fourth set up John McCarthy’s two-yard touch­down catch to make it 28-27 be­fore Neshaminy blocked the ex­tra point.

Alex Ar­can­geli’s one­yard touch­down run with 4:09 to go gave the Owls new life, but the two-point con­ver­sion pass failed and Ben­salem trailed 35-33.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.