90-year-old woman and 3 officers injured in Essex house fire
A 90-year-old woman and three officers were injured on the evening of Tuesday, October 16, in a single-alarm Essex house fire.
BCoPD fire investigators have ruled this an accidental fire; it began in a first-floor bedroom, where a heat lamp used to warm a pet lizard fell over and ignited.
BCoPD officers arrived at 8:05 p.m. at the home in the unit block of Russell Frost Ct., 21221. Fire units were dispatched at 8:06 p.m.
The officers found the elderly woman outside the home when they arrived. They went inside the house and attempted to put out the fire using an extinguisher, but evacuated after a short time and waited for fire personnel to arrive.
Engine 511 (Essex VFD) was the first-arriving unit; firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and placed it under control at 8:26 p.m.
The woman was transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
The three officers were transported to the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center for treatment of minor injuries. All were released later that evening.