VA Maryland Health Care System offers veterans free flu shots
Flu season is upon us again, and it’s time to roll up sleeves and get your shot.
Flu is no joke, killing 49,000 people annually. Despite the spike of spurious articles this time of year touting all the dangers of getting a flu shot, the truth is that getting the flu shot saves lives. During the 20142015 flu season, people over 65 years old were hit especially hard with an uptick in hospitalizations, accounting for more than 60 percent of all hospitalizations across more than 122 cities.
More sobering, the Center for Disease Control is already reporting a small number of influence outbreaks for the 2016-2017 flu season. The only safeguard against flu is getting the shot and, to this end, the VA Maryland Health Care System encourages all veterans to roll up their sleeves and get a flu shot.
Why is it paramount? Flu, which his contagious, presents a risk to all children ages 6 months to 18 years, anyone age 50 and older, health care providers, child care workers, residents of long-term care facilities and anyone with long-term health care problems.
This year, veterans can get a free flu shot at their local Walgreens until Friday, March 31, 2017. No appointment is necessary and VA electronic health records will be automatically updated to reflect that veterans got their shots. Veterans wanting a free flu shot from Walgreens must present their VA Veterans Health Identification Card and another form of identification.
Walk-In Clinics are also now available at all VA Maryland Health Care System facilities:
• Baltimore VA Medical Center Primary Care Clinic:
• Monday through Friday,
8:30 a.m. 4 p.m.
• Baltimore VA Medical Center’s 2nd Floor Lobby Flu Clinic:
• Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., 10 N. Greene St., Baltimore, Md. 21201
• Baltimore VA Annex:
• Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 209 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
• Glen Burnie VA Outpatient Clinic:
• Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., 808 Landmark Drive. Suite 128, Glen Burnie, Md. 21061
• Loch Raven VA Medical Center:
• Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., 3901 The Alameda, Baltimore, Md. 21218