CAR­A­VAN’S FATE UNDETERMINED

The Beaufort Gazette (Sunday) - - Front Page - BY JOSHUA PART­LOW AND NICK MIROFF

Trump seeks Mex­ico’s sup­port to have asy­lum seek­ers wait in Mex­ico while their claims move through U.S. courts.

The Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion is try­ing to win the sup­port of Mex­ico’s in­com­ing gov­ern­ment for a plan to re­make U.S. bor­der pol­icy by re­quir­ing asy­lum seek­ers to wait in Mex­ico while their claims move through U.S. courts, ac­cord­ing to Mex­i­can of­fi­cials and se­nior mem­bers of pres­i­dent-elect An­drés Manuel López Obrador’s tran­si­tion team.

But in a state­ment re­ported by the As­so­ci­ated Press, Mex­ico’s in­com­ing gov­ern­ment on Satur­day said it does not plan to as­sume the role of “safe third coun­try” for mi­grants seek­ing asy­lum in the U.S. af­ter López Obrador is sworn in as pres­i­dent on Dec. 1.

Con­tra­dict­ing ear­lier state­ments, in­com­ing In­te­rior Min­is­ter Olga Sánchez Cordero said Satur­day: “There is no agree­ment of any sort be­tween the in­com­ing Mex­i­can gov­ern­ment and the U.S. gov­ern­ment.”

She said the fu­ture gov­ern­ment’s prin­ci­pal con­cern re­lated to the mi­grants is their well-be­ing in Mex­ico.

The White House had no im­me­di­ate com­ment.

The ten­ta­tive agree­ment would break with long­stand­ing asy­lum rules and place a for­mi­da­ble new bar­rier in the path of Cen­tral Amer­i­can mi­grants at­tempt­ing to reach the United States and es­cape poverty and vi­o­lence. By reach­ing the ac­cord, the Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion has also over­come Mex­ico’s his­toric ret­i­cence to deepen co­op­er­a­tion with the United States on an is­sue widely seen here as Amer­ica’s prob­lem.

Ac­cord­ing to out­lines of the plan, known as Re­main in Mex­ico, asy­lum ap­pli­cants at the bor­der will have to stay in Mex­ico while their cases are pro­cessed, po­ten­tially end­ing the sys­tem Trump de­cries as “catch and re­lease” that has un­til now gen­er­ally al­lowed those seek­ing refuge to wait on safer U.S. soil.

Early signs for the ar­range­ment had seemed pos­i­tive.

“For now, we have agreed to this pol­icy of Re­main in Mex­ico,” said Sánchez Cordero, Mex­ico’s in­com­ing in­te­rior min­is­ter. In an in­ter­view with The Wash­ing­ton Post, she called it a “short- term so­lu­tion.”

“The medium- and long-term so­lu­tion is that peo­ple don’t mi­grate,” Sánchez Cordero told the Post. “Mex­ico has open arms and ev­ery­thing, but imag­ine, one car­a­van af­ter an­other af­ter an­other, that would also be a prob­lem for us.”

While no for­mal agree­ment has been signed, and U.S. of­fi­cials cau­tion that many de­tails must still be dis­cussed, the in­com­ing Mex­i­can gov­ern­ment is amenable to the con­cept of turn­ing their coun­try in to a wait­ing room for Amer­ica’s asy­lum sys­tem.

While they re­main anx­ious the deal could fall apart, U.S. of­fi­cials view this as a po­ten­tial break­through that could de­ter mi­gra­tion and the for­ma­tion of ad­di­tional car­a­vans that orig­i­nate in Cen­tral Amer­ica and cross through Mex­ico to reach

the United States. They have qui­etly en­gaged in sen­si­tive talks with se­nior Mex­i­can of­fi­cials, at­tempt­ing to of­fer a diplo­matic coun­ter­bal­ance to Pres­i­dent Don­ald Trump’s threats and ul­ti­ma­tums.

Alarmed by Trump’s de­ploy­ment of U.S. mil­i­tary forces to Cal­i­for­nia, Ari­zona and Texas, and his threats to close busy bor­der cross­ings, Mex­i­can of­fi­cials were fur­ther de­ter­mined to take ac­tion af­ter mi­grants trav­el­ing as part of a car­a­van forced their way onto Mex­i­can soil last month, push­ing past po­lice block­ades at the bor­der with Gu­atemala.

The prospect of keep­ing thou­sands of Cen­tral Amer­i­can asy­lum seek­ers for months or years in drug car­tel-dom­i­nated Mex­i­can bor­der states – some of the most vi­o­lent in the coun­try – has trou­bled hu­man-rights ac­tivists and oth­ers who worry that such a plan could put mi­grants at risk and un­der­mine their law­ful right to ap­ply for asy­lum.

“We have not seen a spe­cific pro­posal, but any pol­icy that would leave in­di­vid­u­als stranded in Mex­ico would in­evitably put peo­ple in dan­ger,” said Lee Gel­ernt, an ACLU at­tor­ney whose team has won sev­eral le­gal vic­to­ries against the Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion’s immigration ini­tia­tives in re­cent months.

“The ad­min­is­tra­tion ought to con­cen­trate on pro­vid­ing a fair and law­ful asy­lum process in the U.S. rather than in­vent­ing more and more ways to try to short-cir­cuit it,” Gel­ernt said.

The new mea­sures could also trig­ger le­gal chal­lenges, though Gel­ernt said it was too early to com­ment on po­ten­tial lit­i­ga­tion.

The deal took shape last week in Hous­ton dur­ing a meet­ing be­tween Marcelo Ebrard, Mex­ico’s in­com­ing for­eign min­is­ter, and top U.S. of­fi­cials such as Sec­re­tary of State Mike Pom­peo and Home­land Se­cu­rity Sec­re­tary Kirst­jen Nielsen, ac­cord­ing to U.S. and Mex­i­can of­fi­cials.

Nielsen has been fight­ing to keep her job since the midterms, and while Trump has told aides he plans to re­place her, the pres­i­dent praised her this week for “try­ing.”

Dozens of U.S. asy­lum of­fi­cers have been sent to San Diego where they will be­gin im­ple­ment­ing the new pro­ce­dures in com­ing days or weeks, ac­cord­ing to Depart­ment of Home­land Se­cu­rity of­fi­cials. Un­der the new pro­ce­dures, asy­lum seek­ers ar­riv­ing at the bor­der will be given an ini­tial screen­ing in­ter­view.

RO­DRIGO ABD AP

Elias Lopez, a 3-year-old Hon­duran mi­grant, plays in be­tween the shields of a line of Mex­i­can riot po­lice on Thurs­day, when the group he was part of tried to cross the Cha­parral bor­der cross­ing at Ti­juana, Mex­ico.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.