Man saved from house fire dies later in the hospi­tal

The Buffalo News - - LOCAL NEWS -

A man who was res­cued from the se­cond floor of a burn­ing house Satur­day morn­ing in Batavia died later in United Memo­rial Med­i­cal Cen­ter, the City of Batavia Fire Depart­ment re­ported. He was iden­ti­fied as John Sher­man Sr.

Fire of­fi­cials said they en­coun­tered heavy smoke and fire at 109 Evans St. when they ar­rived shortly af­ter 7 a.m. and that flames were so in­tense that crews could not get to Sher­man on their first at­tempt to res­cue him.

Fire of­fi­cials said seven or eight other peo­ple in the house es­caped safely. Fire­fight­ers re­ported that they re­trieved two dogs from the build­ing and that two cats and a chicken es­caped on their own. An­other dog per­ished, they said.

-Dale An­der­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.