Woman injured in Owings fire
About 70 volunteer responders helped to put out house’s blaze
A woman was rescued from an Owings house fire early Wednesday morning after dozens of firefighters responded to bring the fire under control.
About 70 firefighters responded to a multi-story, single-family home on Easy Street in Owings around 1:07 a.m. Wednesday.
Steve Stanton, deputy chief of the North Beach
Volunteer Fire Department and one of the firefighters who responded to the fire, said crews arrived on the scene to “see nothing but fire.”
It took the firefighters about 10 minutes to get it under control and rescue the woman, who was confused and disoriented, Stanton said.
The woman, who had an inhalation injury due to exposure to heat and smoke, was treated and transported to the shock trauma center in Baltimore.
Stanton said it’s hard to determine how serious her injury was because a lot of inhalation injuries can take some time to develop.
Stanton said the house was “not inhabitable” after the fire, as it caused serious damage to the entire upper floor and the garage was completely lost. The contents of the lower level, however, were mostly preserved.
The cause of Wednesday’s fire is still under investigation by the state fire marshal.
As winter approaches, Stanton reminds residents to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected at least once a year.
“As soon as we get these cold snaps, people start to fire up their fireplace for the first time,” he said. “That’s where a lot of these fires start from.”
Chimney fires are usually caused by the burning of creosote that builds up inside the chimney. A damaged chimney with cracks, for example, can make conditions worse because fire can spread to the surrounding areas in the home.
Families are encouraged to check their chimneys for cracks themselves and also have them inspected when they are getting cleaned by professionals.
About 70 firefighters responded to a multi-story, single-family home around 1:07 a.m. Wednesday in Owings. One woman was rescued from the fire. She was reportedly disoriented and confused.
Fire crews reportedly arrived at a multi-story, single-family home in Owings a little after 1 a.m. Wednesday to “see nothing but fire.”